First all-grain was pretty easy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
Completed my first all-grain today, things went smoothly. It was much easier than I thought. My only concern was the amount of water for dough in then sparge. But I was right on the money.

Keep knocking down that myth of AG being difficult. With a little research, there's no reason to not brew AG, if you have a mind to.

Congrats on the brew day.

Completed my first all-grain today, things went smoothly. It was much easier than I thought. My only concern was the amount of water for dough in then sparge. But I was right on the money.

I'm right in there with you. My first AG was on Saturday and using BeerSmith helped get all the calculations I needed. Now I just need to get a sight glass for the boil kettle, or some way to measure my boil-off. I went too long and ended with 4.5 gallons.....oops, at least now I'll have a stronger beer! :tank:

I'm right in there with you. My first AG was on Saturday and using BeerSmith helped get all the calculations I needed. Now I just need to get a sight glass for the boil kettle, or some way to measure my boil-off. I went too long and ended with 4.5 gallons.....oops, at least now I'll have a stronger beer! :tank:

I just cut notches into a wooden dowel. That works great and is like $2.

That's a great idea! I'm really surprised that I hadn't thought of that before. And now I see a trip to Lowes in my near future. thanks

I just cut notches into a wooden dowel. That works great and is like $2.

I bought a steel yard stick at Wally World. Pour in one gallon at a time and measure the depth. Turns out my 24 qt pot(I do 3 gallon batches) is almost exactly 2"/gallon.

I bought a steel yard stick at Wally World. Pour in one gallon at a time and measure the depth. Turns out my 24 qt pot(I do 3 gallon batches) is almost exactly 2"/gallon.

Is there any worry about the paint coming off the yard stick and getting in the wort?

webgodhog said:
Is there any worry about the paint coming off the yard stick and getting in the wort?

All the talk about about marking your spoon or whatever you have.
Saw a great idea on another post.

Burn the lines into your spoon with a hot knife. That way the black char is easy to see and u don't have to worry about a sharpie wearing off.
Thought that was genius!

I'm right in there with you. My first AG was on Saturday and using BeerSmith helped get all the calculations I needed.
Indeed. I find AG batch to actually be easier in several ways than full boil extract batches. AG may take longer, but I can fill a lot of the dead time with other activities. I still do the occasional extract, but those are usually partial boils on the stove top for something to throw in a bucket when time is tight. Still good beer.

Now I just need to get a sight glass for the boil kettle, or some way to measure my boil-off
Personally, I'd say don't bother. Already you probably have your eye trained to know when is when. Certainly in a batch or two more you'll be dialed into your equipment. I made one up for similar reasons and never did have the need to use it....

Back