First all-grain tomorrow and I already have an issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstowe81

Reaction score
My buddy said he had a 6.5 gallon brew kettle I could borrow. Turns out its 5.5 gal... My solution is to split the wort into two 3.125 gal boils resulting in a 5 gal batch. Here are my questions...
1. How should I collect first runnings and sparge so that the two have the same preboil gravity?
2. Is it ok to let one wort set while I boil the other? I can't foresee any issues if I keep it covered.
3. What other issues have I not thought about?

The only thing I can come up with is to collect the first runnings in a bucket, collect the sparge in another bucket then mix them together well. Then split equally. You will then need to split all your hop amounts and use half for each boil. I think I would boil half, then cool it while other half is boiling. After the boil mix the 2 boils together in your fermenter, then pitch the wort.

Thank you! Kinda figured it would be that simple. I just needed to double check my assumptions.

This is what I used to do when I had a small kettle, assuming you can ward off boil-overs.

Do your normal first runnings and sparging procedures, draining into the brew pot until you get to 5 gallons (or whatever level you feel comfortable with), then drain another 1 - 1.5 gallons (depending on the amount in the brew pot and your boil-off rate) into some other container.

As you boil the 5 gallons in the brew pot and begin to boil off liquid, add in the 1 - 1.5 gallons to replace what's boiled off such that you stay at ~ a 5 gallon level. At the end, of course, you'll want to be sure you don't add in more wort right before you chill (you want it to boil for at least a little bit to sanitize).

This is what I did in the past when I had a little brew pot, and it worked.

I like your plan too! The risk is high but the time saving factor makes it worth it.

Went with the top off method.

image-3346002687.jpg

image-2742168832.jpg

image-216040137.jpg

You could always do a "Big" beer with the first runnings and a "small" beer with the second runnings. This is known as parti-gyle brewing and was all the rage with "ye olde" brewers. You would make an ESB, strong ale or barleywine with the first runnings and a mild or table beer with the second runnings. I did several of these when I first started all grain before I got my 10 gallon pot. It was fun to do and the results were great, and very interesting. It is amazing how they don't seem like the same beer at all. You can use different hops, different yeasts, adjuncts, etc,. A great chance to play around and experiment. Plus you do end up with two distinctly different beers, which I always thought was a big plus, especially as a beginning brewer with no pipeline established. I also suggest splitting your batch into two fermentors and trying different yeast strains on the same batch.

The yeast is ripping through it as we speak. I purchased a Sierra Nevada clone that had a mash temp of 150. I ended up mashing at 153. I think I'll end up with a sweeter beer than anticipated. I ran off approx 6.5 gal of wort and kept topping off the kettle withe 1.5 gallons from my other pot.. The unanticipated consequence was the mini hot breaks every time I topped off the kettle. I ended up with a little under 5 gal in the bucket. I'll do better the next time.

I have heard about party gile. Now that I have the 10gal mash tun, sounds like a great way to make a barley wine x-mas beer and get a little something out of the deal for myself.

Cheers fellas

I think with the next batch I will run off the extra 1.5 gallons then put it on the stove in the kitchen and let it boil. Then no sanitation issues arise. Cool them both down then top off the fermentation bucket when it's all said and done. What do you think?

I think with the next batch I will run off the extra 1.5 gallons then put it on the stove in the kitchen and let it boil. Then no sanitation issues arise. Cool them both down then top off the fermentation bucket when it's all said and done. What do you think?

I don't see why it would hurt anything. I would save a portion of your hops to go in that pot and see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back