First all grain setup advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashopis

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm an extract brewer beginning to think about making the leap to all grain. I'm wondering if folks would give me some advice on the two systems I'm considering. For background, I now brew on my kitchen stove in a five-gallon kettle. So I don't have a propane burner to use on my next system.

I'm thinking either robobrew/mash & boil or a propane-based BIAB system. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

How about BIAB with half size batches on your kitchen stove? With that you get to use the same 5 gallon kettle and for the cost of a couple paint strainer bags you can learn what all grain brewing is all about. With a few batches that way you will have a better idea of what method would be best for you.

I loved boiling outdoors on a propane burner as it was faster, the boil was more vigorous, and the better boil off rate meant I used a normal amount of sparge water so my efficiency was the best ever. However I now have a Robobrew as I'm in an apartment and the positives are I can brew at any time - rain, snow, high winds don't matter. Doesn't matter if it's dark out. No transporting a pot filled with 150 degree wort from inside to outside (used to mash indoors), etc. My boil off is only a half gallon an hour and the boil is very weak. Now, I haven't really tasted any difference in my beers, they taste great but my efficiency has gone from a steady 86 to between 81-83%. Really too small to be of concern. I'd say go for it. I prefer the Robobrew for the pump and extra space for grain/wort volume.

Rev.

Try a couple of 2gal AG batches, done easily on stovetop, even 3g if you're careful, with a 5g pot. I've a friend who does just that, scales down recipes found online, buys double milled from Ritebrew, BIAB, makes great beer.

I found brewing outside w propane a pain in the arse.

Sure, with nice weather it can be pleasant, but hauling everything outside only to have to haul it back inside wasn’t fun.

The smaller automated systems work well I’m sure, but with practice you can mimic that stovetop with a little practice.

For larger volumes, a heatstick or better yet “a hot rod” from brewhardware.com can make boiling larger volumes stovetop possible and quick.

For mash temp stability, try putting your mash / kettle in a warm oven.

For larger volumes, a heatstick or better yet “a hot rod” from brewhardware.com can make boiling larger volumes stovetop possible and quick.

Yeah I too have been considering going with a Hotrod together with gas on stovetop to get faster heatup times, better rolling boil, and better boil off rate than my Robobrew. Every time I check though they're out of stock.

Rev.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a couple of 2gal AG batches, done easily on stovetop, even 3g if you're careful, with a 5g pot. I've a friend who does just that, scales down recipes found online, buys double milled from Ritebrew, BIAB, makes great beer.

I did make my leap from extract to all grain this way and I love it, works great for me.
And thanks @balrog for the kind words :mug:

I do 5 gallon BIAB in my garage with a pully for the bag I have 0 intention of changing unless I get rich, you can do a finer crush and get really strong efficiency and only 1 vessel to clean I can do 2 batches in less than 8 hours easily for me it works perfectly

I went from box kits on the stove to all grain just recently. I was debating on the mash n boil and robobrew. As I started leaning robobrew I started looking at the Grainfather . There were issues I read about all of the electrical kettles. The Grainfather Imo was better made and had way more up side . I pulled the trigger on one and i gotta say it's amazing. The control box is easy peasy. Only downside they said about the GF is it takes a bit to boil with the US version. It wasnt all that bad tbo. It produces a nice rolling boil which is all you really need . I've heard negative things about doing a boil that too aggressive. Either device you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with for the time being. That being said I truly think if you go mash n boil you will want to upgrade it. From what I've heard the M&B is coming out with one that has a pump.

Thanks for all the great advice. I Think I'll start with the equipment I have and 2.5-gallon batches to get into the all grain process. This leads me to another question.

I ferment in a large plastic bucket and 2nd state into a 5-gallon carboy. Should I just use this with the smaller batches or is there an advantage to get a smaller bucket and carboy?

Thanks again for all the advice!

...and in a related question, is there a drawback to kegging 2.5 gallons of beer in a 5-gallon corny keg? Is it better to get a 2.5-gallon keg?

Cheers!

...and in a related question, is there a drawback to kegging 2.5 gallons of beer in a 5-gallon corny keg? Is it better to get a 2.5-gallon keg?

Cheers!
My guess would be no it's not a big deal. If you start off with 5 gal of beer your going to drink some leaving your keg with 2.5 gal of beer at some point .

I don’t think I’d worry about the carboy....there’s a possibility of fermentation being a little different then what you’re used to due to excess head space, but if you get 3 gal into a true 5 gal carboy, I don’t think you’ll notice much difference. As far as the keg you shouldn’t notice any difference.

Thanks for all the great advice. I Think I'll start with the equipment I have and 2.5-gallon batches to get into the all grain process. This leads me to another question.

I ferment in a large plastic bucket and 2nd state into a 5-gallon carboy. Should I just use this with the smaller batches or is there an advantage to get a smaller bucket and carboy?

Thanks again for all the advice!

With the bucket and the 5 gallon carboy you have the option of either. I use the 6 1/2 gallon bucket for 2 1/2 gallon batches with no issues. You could use the bucket for one batch and the carboy for another and have 2 fermenting at once.

With a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a fermenter twice that size, I would only ferment in a single stage and would not suggest transferring to a secondary as there would be too much headspace and exposure to O2.

Using a 5 gal keg is not an issue, but I would purge the headspace well with co2 to rid the large volume of air.

While I concur, wholeheartedly, with @wilserbrewer about the pain of hauling stuff from basement to garage to brew, sometimes the use of the kitchen to brew is not a maritally-harmonious option.
Why haul out of the basement at all?
I converted a spare bedroom into my home brewery as many do with thier basements.. electric is more efficient and way easier to control and make consistent beers with. I know the cost varies by location but for me its way cheaper than propane with a brew costing less than $2 in power..

The largest downside for me is not having running water in my brewroom I have to use a hose from the bathroom adjacent to the room for my plate chiller and cleanup on the MT and BK still requires using the kitchen sink since I have no basement.

all a person with a 30a dryer outlet needs is a hotrod setup from brewhardware with a stilldragon controller like this one.
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-small-controller.html

and your off to the races brewing indoors.

Back