First All grain complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblism

Reaction score
Just finished my first all grain, started at 6am and just finished putting things back in storage. Did a surly bender clone for my first all grain.
Had a couple bumps along the way, first i sparged too much water and had to boil for an extra 30 minutes to get to my target volume
Had it down to 6 gallons and was running it through the plate chiller and a hose came loose, lost about 1.5 gallons, have 4.5 right now in the carboy.

Hit my target OG of 1.060, don't know my efficiency for sure since I ended up loosing 1.5 gallons but figure I had about 70-75% efficiency.

I was shocked how quick it all went, if it wasn't for having to boil an extra 30 minutes I would have been done in about 4 hours.

Also did the batch with 2 heat sticks

Have a 21 gallon vat downstairs....might need to try a 10 gallon or 13 gallon batch next (fill 2 5 gallon kegs and 1 3)

Finished my second all grain today, brewed 10 gallons blue moon, started at 12:30, finished cleaning up at 4:30.....man heatsticks and plate chillers make things go so quick!

Just finished my first all grain as well. Awesome day. I also had too much initial volume and boiled for 30 minutes before starting the real 60 minute boil. Still ended up with about 5.5 gal when I was shooting for 5.25.
But I hit my batch sparge temps right on the money - 152 mash and 168 sparge. I am very excited, I wish I could do it again tomorrow!
Life's been good to me so far...(Joe Walsh)

Back