First all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
So here it goes, I plan on my first all grain brew next weekend. I am starting with a Northern Brewer all grain kit because since its my first I thought it would take some of the thinking out of the process until I get used to all grain. Alas it hasn't. I noticed in the included instructions that the process is Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes
Where is the sparge ? Do I sparge? what temp should the water be? etc etc..... This may sound like a stupid question (I'm thinking it may) but like I said this is my first all grain and it seems to be missing some steps that ive seen on you tube and read about on web sites and in books.
Please someone help !!

Yes, you should sparge. Are you going to batch sparge or fly sparge? Many of us skip the mashout step when batch sparging, just drain your first runnings then sparge with 168-170 degree water.

Denny has a nice tutorial on batch sparging:
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Thanks so much. I'm going with the batch sparge. I figured it would be that simple.

Back