First all grain and first lager brew went all wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasBaldDog

Reaction score
Short and sweet.

Couldn't find my wort chiller to faucet adapter, so I had to wort chill off the basement spigot. Had a hard time maintaining mash temperature consistency (140 in the middle, 165 outside... yes I stirred the hell out of it).

Finish all that, put in fermenter, start chilling.... get suckback from the blowoff bottle. Turns out blow off bottle water was 3 month old Starsan solution.... I thought someone had made new stuff.

During the night, the rubber stopper pops out of the carboy and I find this on the top of the beer.

Keep in mind that we poured the wort at 6 pm yesterday... this is at 6 AM today, so 12 hours.

I am guessing that I need to chill the hell out.... but thought I would post a picture so that if it turns out okay, then someone can search and find it later.

Its a Centennial Blonde ale that I decided to ferment with Lager yeast. Holding temp this morning was 58*F

Finish all that, put in fermenter, start chilling.... get suckback from the blowoff bottle. Turns out blow off bottle water was 3 month old Starsan solution.... I thought someone had made new stuff.

When I chill using my fridge, I cover the top of the carboy with 2-3 layers of paper towel dampend with StarSan. This avoids the suck back issue. I rubberband the paper towels to the neck of the carboy.If I see the papertowels are dry, I simpy spray with more Starsan, although I don't usually cold crash for that long.

What lager yeast are you using? Just asking as 58 is on the warm side for most lager strains.

When I chill using my fridge, I cover the top of the carboy with 2-3 layers of paper towel dampend with StarSan. This avoids the suck back issue. I rubberband the paper towels to the neck of the carboy.If I see the papertowels are dry, I simpy spray with more Starsan, although I don't usually cold crash for that long.

What lager yeast are you using? Just asking as 58 is on the warm side for most lager strains.

That's definately an idea for future use.

I am using a Saflager strain (forget exactly which one) but it recommended 53-59 "Ideally". I lowered it to 53*F after I posted my original comments.

Also, came home from work today and I have a nice/neat 1.5" krausen on the top.... so I believe it was just a krausen that looked VERY suspisciously like a mold-colony.

She is bubbling nicely at 3/second.

Back