First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I did my strike at 167. After I had 75% of it and the grain in MT my temp was down to 146-7. So I raised strike to 175. Added another gal. Got MT up to 149. Should be 151-2. Am I screwed?

What were you making? I mash most of my beers around 149-150 because I like dry, well attenuated beers, especially my Belgians.

Ended up at 1.075 OG. 5.35-5.5gal to fermenter. Estimated efficiency of 71-75. Def happy w that. Would be higher but I tossed .5 gal when I was aerating as it was so loaded w hop gook.

sok454 said:
Ended up at 1.075 OG. 5.35-5.5gal to fermenter. Estimated efficiency of 71-75. Def happy w that. Would be higher but I tossed .5 gal when I was aerating as it was so loaded w hop gook.

Only losing a half gallon isn't too bad in a recipe with as much hops as this. Mashing it low will have helped you with this recipe too. Lower mash temp means drier, better attenuated beer, which in an ipa is what you want.

Back