First AG - Turbo Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
Ok, my first AG batch turned out to be 1.075 for the OG. I have not noticed any airlock activity the entire time in the fermenter (5 days so far). Of course, I didn't even keep an eye on it for the first 24 hours. Due to this lack of airlock activity, I decided to take a small sample to take a gravity reading. I read 1.018 on my hydrometer.

Is it possible, that the wort completely fermented out in the first 24 hours, and I just havent seen any additional activity since? I have used the same type of yeast for my last four batches (all extract brews) and have had airlock activity in these batches for over 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for the help,
Aaron

Entirely possible. What yeast did you use? Although I have to say that 75 to 18 in 24 hrs is FAST. Just for kicks I would sanitize something and give it a stir. Then see if it goes lower. Oh yeah - is 18 your goal FG? If so, who cares?

I have about 15 AG brews under my belt and noticed from day 1 that the wort created is much more fermentable. Most of my smaller beers are done in 2-3 days with dry yeast, or if a starter is used with a liquid yeast.

blacklab said:
Entirely possible. What yeast did you use? Although I have to say that 75 to 18 in 24 hrs is FAST. Just for kicks I would sanitize something and give it a stir. Then see if it goes lower. Oh yeah - is 18 your goal FG? If so, who cares?

I have about 15 AG brews under my belt and noticed from day 1 that the wort created is much more fermentable. Most of my smaller beers are done in 2-3 days with dry yeast, or if a starter is used with a liquid yeast.

I used Danstar Nottingham dry yeast with a typical warm-water starter fixed up 30 minutes before pitching. I am very close to my target of 1.015, of course, my estimated time in the primary is still 3 days away.

I'm just glad I took a sample to read, I was starting to get concerned.

In my experience, Nottingham can produce some very fast fermentations, particularly if you oxygenated well and ferment on the warm side. Of course, this may be cause for concern sometimes because a warm fermentation with this yeast can sometimes lead to off flavours. For that reason, I like to go cooler with Nottingham -- say about 63 - 65. It ferments very clean in this range (or lower, if you can control the temps very precisely).

FlyGuy said:
In my experience, Nottingham can produce some very fast fermentations, particularly if you oxygenated well and ferment on the warm side. Of course, this may be cause for concern sometimes because a warm fermentation with this yeast can sometimes lead to off flavours. For that reason, I like to go cooler with Nottingham -- say about 63 - 65. It ferments very clean in this range (or lower, if you can control the temps very precisely).

This is why I always cool to 50f( ale or Lager)( yes I've fermented Nottingham and S-05 that low and it works) and then let it rise SLOWLY depending on what I wanted. Most of the Funky flavors happen within the first 24-36 hrs and I keep it cool for that period( Belgians don't count)

Yeah, I have had a brew or two ferment out that quickly, but as mentioned above, temperature rises with this fast a ferment can possibly lead to some off flavors

Latest posts

Back