First AG - Much went wrong, but in the end OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am grateful to all who share on this forum, have learned so much and have worked my way up the brewing chain to my first all grain brew today.
Would have never had the nerve to try without all the great information learned here.

So, being the first time at this, much went not to plan. First, my mash temp came in at 151F, wanted 155F. The batch sparge temp was 164F instead of 168-170F. Lastly, between mash and sparge used too much water and had 1/2 gallon or so of wort left after filling the brew kettle up.

Per the teachings of the forum, I took detailed notes so I can make adjustments on future brews. I was cringing as I took my hydrometer reading, certain I would way undershoot the target after all the errors. To my surprise I was dead on at 1.050 per the recipe!

Anyway, will see how it turns out in a few weeks but I guess sometimes the relax don't worry have a homebrew is also a good lesson to be learned!!

151 is fine. I've done that a bunch. 155 would have given you a few more fermentable sugars, but it is still going to taste great.

The leftover wort is great for a starter for next time. Freeze it in water bottles and boil it when you want to make a yeast starter.

Your batch will be perfect. Don't be so hard on yourself.

151 was my mash temp intentionally for a couple of beers. Your gravities should still be close to 70% efficiency.

Be patient and let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks.

One more thing, sparging at 164 is fine too. Think about it, most boil in a bag brewers don't spare at all. As long as you got as much out of the grains as you can, you are doing it right.

Back