First 5g AG Brew: Any Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
I am hoping people who are more experienced might have some tips about what mistakes I made today. Here is my story.

In addition to extract brews, I've done a few BIABs before (never more than 2.5 gallons) and I've also done some partial mashes. Today I did my first 5 gallon AG brew, with a 10g cooler MLT that I made and a propane burner in my backyard. I think what I did is called a single infusion mash, with batch sparging. It is a Vienna / Hersbrucker SMaSH lager.

I had 9 lbs of crushed Vienna malt, and I ended up using ~3.75 g of water to mash, to get the temp up to 154. After 1 hour, the temp in the MLT was 146. Then, I sparged with 4.25 gallons of 172 degree water, to try and get 7 gallons total for the boil. I think I got closer to 7.5 gallons.

I boiled for 70 minutes, because I had more water than I had planned on, and thought an extra 10 minutes might help. However, at the end, I only had ~4.25 gallons of wort! I dumped it in the primary, pitched my starter, and called it a day.

My OG was 1.042. Brewtarget estimated I would get 1.045, although that was also assuming 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back