Firestone keg dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
Those of you who have (had) firestone kegs may know the issue with the narrow hole for the dip tubes. I have lost one of the red plastic gas dip tubes and the stainless replacement I have is too thick (diameter) to fit in the hole in the keg...

I have read there are two options

1. cut the length of the dip tube to act as an"o-ring holder" i.e. the length is very short and doesn't actually go inside the keg

2. Drill out the hole to accept the larger diameter stainless dip tubes

I don't have a carbide drill bit to drill the keg hole, so that would be the more costly method, and also longer time to do it.
If I trim the length, does this effect the keg at all? It would definitely be easier and faster, but it would make that dip tube unique to that keg so I can't lose another one

There's pros and cons to each method: what have other members have had luck doing?

That's all you need.
The reason is your non-oem dip tube didn't fit inside the narrowed section of the riser bore to begin with. Mine were all original equipment...

Cheers!

That's all you need.
The reason is your non-oem dip tube didn't fit inside the narrowed section of the riser bore to begin with. Mine were all original equipment...

Cheers!

Okay I re-read what you wrote and I see my confusion.

Worked perfectly, thanks for the tip! Saves me an expensive drill bit and a lot of wasted time :mug:

Back