Finishing cyser with brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score
Been brewing beer for awhile now, but decided to try a cider a few months ago and have a few questions. Bumped up my og with equal parts honey and agave to 1.070. Finished very dry at .998 or .999. Had some issues with it not clearing up after 2 months so I added SuperKleer and it cleared right up. However, due to nothing but sheer laziness, I still have yet to bottle after 4 months. Last taste about 3 weeks ago was pretty good.

A few questions:

1. If I want to carb in bottles (just a light carbonation) should I just prime, bottle, and wait or do I need to pitch more yeast because it has been sitting around for awhile and I used a fining agent?

2. I was considering pitching brett before bottling. Would this solve any issues with carbonation in addition to adding some funk? Any general thoughts on adding brett?

3. Should I add Brett (or a different yeast) to carboy and give it some more time before bottling or add right before bottling?

Thanks in advance!

What was the original yeast? If you want to bottle carb yeast would be reasonable insurance. Carbing with brett vs any other yeast won't make a difference in terms of c02(all things held equal), just a curious idea or are you going for funk? Not sure if you'd need a starter but look up the yeast grams per ml required and compare that with the cells in one vial of brett.

Add at bottling. I would follow similar guidelines that others use to bottle beer with brett.

I'm wondering how mellow the funk/fruit would be, or outrageous, brett's crazy.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back