Finally got around to this thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numsquat

Reaction score
Actually have been lurking this forum for a little while and finally decided to join. Name is Brad, online name is Numsquat. I have been a member of several other brewing forums for many years, not always active, but been a reader and occasional poster. Several of those forums are now very inactive or non-existent now.

I have homebrewed beer, cider and mead for over 25 years now. Probably started out like many others, trying so many different styles and such and building a brew system over time (started with a Mr Beer kit-->5 gal extract-->5 gal all-grain-->10 gal all-grain). Pretty much hit a happy spot with about 15 different recipes, with some variations, and have been brewing those recipes for about 10ish years now. I recently moved from very NW Iowa to the Florida panhandle to be near the grandkids and have started rejuvenating my brewing the last couple of months, hence my researching brewing forums again, looking for new and upgrading ideas.

I did co-start a homebrew club in NW Iowa and am looking at doing the same here in the Milton/Pace area in Florida, did a post in the Local Gatherings section of the forums if you're from this area and interested in starting a local club or at least hooking up for brew days.

I really have enjoyed what I have read here so far and like the activity of the forum. Not the best brewer in the world but feel I can hold my own. Looking forward to learning from all of you and hoping to add a little bit of experience my self.

Welcome to HBT. You don't say how current the other forums kept up with changes or how much you kept up with trends. I started in 2011 and a lot of "Rules" that there used to be have gone by the wayside since that time. HBT is active and you can get a ton of information and ideas here. Maybe you can get something out of it that will take you from "not the best brewer in the world" to one of the better brewers.

I have taken a bit of a different route in that in the almost 7 years I have been brewing, I have never done exactly the same recipe twice. There are a couple that I have tried to make better. I have a brown ale that I alter and each time it is different but they are always good. The basic recipe stays the same but I add a specialty grain or different hop each time.

I will be looking forward to what experience you bring forth.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Homebrewing has changed so much over the years. I'm not unhappy with my brewing and in good years I come within a few ounces of the "legal max" ;) in volume produced but really got started in brewing to recreate styles I couldn't regularly find but had tried. Now days that's not an issue.

I do make small changes in recipes, do 10gal batches and split into smaller batches to try different yeast/adjuncts/hops in dry hopping/etc. I recently moved from north central USA to Florida, where I can brew year round (my old unheated garage limited my brewing to 9-10 months/year) and I now have less family responsibilities (kids grew up and finished college, out of the house) so I'm looking to expand my brewing again.

Back