Finally got a tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
So, I've been using this fridge for a while as a kegerator, just using picnic taps inside and opening the door for a pour. I finally decided to add a tower. I purchased the three tap tower with flow control Intertaps from Williams Brewing. Everything went very well. It had everything I needed minus directions. I was a journeyman plumber in a previous life so it wasn't too bad but I could see where some directions would be helpful.

I still have to connect the tubing to the kegs and it looks like I will need to get one of those blowers with a tube to cool the tower.

It looks like you are a few days ahead of me. My two tap tower from Williams should arrive today. Are there any issues connecting the tower to the top of the fridge. My fridge (and it looks like yours does too) has a thin metal layer, a bunch of insulation, and another thin metal layer. Do I need screws long enough to go through the whole thing? My worry is that either the whole thing winds up wobbly, or I over-tighten and the flimsy metal layers warp. Am I overthinking this? I was not a plumber in any former life.

Yeah, on mine there is a layer of stainless (maybe 1/8 inch thick), about 2 1/2 inches of foam, and then mine has a plastic shell on the inside. I got a 3" hole saw and drilled it out. I just took my time and sprayed it with some water from time to time to cool it. I did not use the bolts that came with the tower. I basically just found some #10 (I think) stainless metal screws. I drilled some pilot holes and just screwed them into the top layer of stainless outer shell. It seems pretty secure, though time will tell.

Definitely lay out your holes and screw locations on top of the fridge before you start assembling the tower. Also, install the escutcheon ring before installing the faucet shanks.

Update. I just checked. My stainless shell is actually 1/16" or so thick. I'm not sure I would have made it through if it had been 1/8".

My kegerator is a 1 tap tower and been thinking of buying a three tap as 3 corny kegs fit.

Hello Jman, from a turd herder who also works for an old cranky Master when he needs help.

Folding ruler or tape?

Hello Jman, from a turd herder who also works for an old cranky Master when he needs help.

Folding ruler or tape?

My dad was the Master. He would tell you that rule number 3 is that the boss is a SOB. Right behind #1 cold is on the right and #2 certain stuff flows downhill.

He was a total folding ruler guy. I always admired it, I just couldn't do it.

My Master is an a hole, but also one of my best friends. I never got the folding ruler, tape or eyeball, lol! I can still spot flat or backfall better than him, and he’s been plumbing for 125 years! You’ll get it, most wont...

Nice to meet another plumber (or ex) on here! The trade certainly comes in handy with this hobby!

Thinking of making a dual wort chiller. Once through the coil, into a plate chiller in ice water and back through another coil and out. With business, might be a long process....

Haha, that's awesome. I wish I had a good eye. I have a buddy that was a brick layer that gives me grief all the time because I can never tell if something is level or not by eye.

You're right. Some plumbing skills definitely help in homebrewing from time to time. That coil sounds serious. I'd love to see that if you get around to it.

Latest posts

Back