Finally, everything clicked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimLa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having been out of brewing for some time, I started back into it last summer. Made a few batches of slug bait, recently started seeing vast improvement, had my first lager some out pretty nice...

I've got a conical that holds 21.5 gallons, stainless, water jacketed, etc that was made by either Stainless in Seattle, or a competitor of theirs - both long gone.

On 7/15, made 16 gallons of Annoying Bastard (28# grain, 12# LME, 12 oz hops in stages) that came out at 1.078. Included 1tsp yeast nutrient for the last 15 minutes of the boil, pitched a 1L starter from a stir plate of WLP007 from my yeast bank. Ran compressed air thru a 0.5 micron diffusion stone for a couple of hours.

16 hours later, I've got blowoff coming out, and the airlock isn't bubbling - it looks like a rolling boil. Since I've been playing with pressurized fermentation, sealed the fermenter, set the pressure relief at 10PSI.

At the 40 hour mark, I clean up all the stuff that came out of the relief valve (maybe a cup, liquid), verify it's still working right, and take a sample.

1.038. That's a 40 point drop in 40 hours. :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

There is a constant, gentle hiss from the relief valve. Oh, and the smell! Needs more aromatics, but a taste of the hydro sample, well, ya better like hops, cuz that's what y'all are gettin'. :D

I am still just blown away by this batch. Dunno if it was the yeast nutrient, air, pitch rate, or all three, but I'll be taking a corny keg out in a week and see how it is.

Just wanted to share...

Sounds great, probably a combination of all three factors gave you the "perfect" fermentation conditions. Hoppy!, sounds great.

At the 65 hour mark: 1.031 :D Since the batch was cooling (the shop isn't heated) down to around 60 degrees, I turned on the heat: A picnic cooler full of water, a 200 watt aquarium heater set to 70 degrees, and an aquarium pump to circulate the water through the fermenter jacket.

The ferment is slowing down, as expected. Today's reading will probably follow that trend.

Update:

At 5.5 days, we're at 1.021, and it's a tasty sample. Best fermentation I can remember. This bad boy goes into kegs Saturday after cooling for 72 hours. 9 days, grain to glass. I could let it age, but it'll do that in the serving kegs. I'm thirsty.

Back