Finally brewed again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natmartin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been well over a year since I brewed last. Since then, we moved out of SF to a city in the suburbs, but my old in-kitchen 2.5 gallon setup just didn't work in the new place. Over the past few months I've been building up equipment to do an outdoor, three-tier, propane fired brewsystem. And finally, yesterday I had my first brew day!

The system is built out of a couple of turkey fryers, and a 10-gallon cooler, on wire shelving.

I brewed the taddy porter clone from "Brewing Classic Styles." I made a 1L starter the night before.

Things went pretty well, with only a few issues:

1) Turns out, if you try to add water to a pot with its lid on, you get drenched. (who knew?)

2) My digital thermometer ran out of batteries right before I was going to spot-check the mash temperature. An analog, uncalibrated thermometer I had nearby read 150 degrees, but I don't know what the temperature actually ended up as.

3) While vorlaufing, I never actually saw the wort "run clear"... there was always some grainy stuff in there. After about 6 pitchers, I just started sparging.

4) My refractometer was harder to use than I thought. From reading descriptions, I expected a sharp line in the viewpoint, showing the density. Instead, the difference between the blue area and grey area was a fuzzy line, so it was hard to see the SG with better than .003 precision. (The numbers on the scale were in focus, just not the measurement itself)

Even though there wasn't much headroom in my boil kettle, I only got one boilover, in the last 5 minutes (when I least expected it of course....) My final hydrometer measurement showed 1.051, so only a few points off from where I was aiming.

This morning, it already had a good inch of krausen on top, and sitting at a perfect 67 degrees in my temp-controlled chest freezer!

Overall, I think I pretty good brewday considering how long it's been, and a considering it was a new system!

I'm excited to be back!

photo.jpg

photo%2B%25289%2529.JPG

photo.JPG

Congrats on not only getting back in the game, but taking your game to the next level! Plus, looking at your pix has given me some inspiration to get building my own. Cheers!

Glad to hear it! What are you thinking of for your setup?

My stand is made out of the standard wire shelves you see in kitchens everywhere. I ordered it from restockit.com

The only problem I have with the stand right now is that the propane hose for the top burner doesn't reach where I'd like the propane tank to be, on the bottom shelf on the left. I need to find an extension somewhere.

Actually, it was your shelving that caught my eye. I'm not ready to sink a grand into a brew tower & don't have the room in this condo, but I'm half-way crafty and like the linear set-up on the shelving. Plus I wanna make a mash tun from a spare 10 gal cooler I have. Exciting!

I think I first saw the idea of using that shelving somewhere here on this forum.

It works pretty well, and it's not too expensive. Only cost about $150, which is much less than a brewstand. Or, if you can find some from a restaurant going out of business, you might get it even cheaper.

It's still pretty big though... I'm 6 feet and I can't see into the HLT on top without a step stool.

Just sampled yesterday... down to 1.019 after 72 hours. And tastes great!

Can't wait to see how it turns out after fermentation is all done.

Latest posts

Back