Filtering yeast from beer, completely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
I want to use a filter to remove all yeast from beer before it gets into the final keg. I don't want to turn this into a discussion about whether or not it is a good idea, or let it get sidetracked onto any other topic aside from the best methods to filter yeast completely prior to consumption.

Since someone will eventually ask: I may possibly have gout. There is some evidence that suggests that purine is one of the major contributors to gout. Brewer's yeast is composed of 30% purine. Beer is listed as a food that may potentially cause gout flare-ups due to yeast content.
Yes, there are other reasons that beer can cause flare-ups; such as dehydration from alcohol, etc.
Yes, there are foods that are higher in purines (red meat, oily fish, etc.), and that limiting them may reduce odds of gout flare-ups.

For the sake of this thread, i only want to discuss the best methods for completely filtering yeast out of beer.

Any recommendations for equipment and procedures?

There are pleated canister filters available that can be adapted to home brew plumbing and that can be CO2 or liquid purged before running any beer.
A 1 micron filter should grab all or nearly all yeast cells; you could go as tight as .5 micron at the risk of stripping some desirable character from the beer.
Best to start with a properly cold-crashed vessel; otherwise a two-stage filter setup with a 5 micron filter at the front might prevent the final filter from loading up prematurely...

Cheers!

I was going to do this:
Cold crash with gelatin.
Fill 1st keg.
Have a 5micron filter followed by a 1 or 0.5 micron filter.
Push everything with 5psi CO2.

Alas my recently discovered fondness for hefeweizen and Berliners will have to yield to lagers, Ales from the British isles and APA/IPAs

Interested to know how you got on with this. I've been suffering from gout since a recent motorcycle accident in which I injured my ankle.

Currently I cold crash, then gelatin at transfer to keg - and have crystal clear beer. Wondering whether the filtering made any difference?

I was going to do this:
Cold crash with gelatin.
Fill 1st keg.
Have a 5micron filter followed by a 1 or 0.5 micron filter.
Push everything with 5psi CO2.

Alas my recently discovered fondness for hefeweizen and Berliners will have to yield to lagers, Ales from the British isles and APA/IPAs

Seems like a good procedure. If the beer is pretty clear before you hit the filter, you can get away with just the 0.5 micron filter. And you can still do Kriztallweizen :)

Latest posts

Back