Filtering water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaefathan

Reaction score
Hi, couple questions. I'm trying to shop for an inline water filter, mainly to remove Iron. I live in a house near the ocean, and the well is only 10ft deep.
Do you think I should expect the water profile to change drastically with the seasons? Ive seen tests like: https://producers.wardlab.com/brewerskitorder.php for $42, the price seems ok, but I'll still need to remove the Iron somehow. The water tastes alot better after I pour it through the Britta twice.

Will something like Home Depots Anchor USA Model AF-3500-C remove all the Iron? Does anyone know if it works better than a Britta? It takes a while to pour 8 gallons through it, I usually just do it the night before a brew, while I'm watching a movie.

Thanks

I can't help with your particular filter needs, but if you want a Ward water test, don't order a KIT. All they do is send you a box with a vial and hopefully a prepaid return label.

Just order the W-5 or W-5a test and send them your sample. They're $27.50 now. If you don't need iron (or phosphorous) tested, get the $21 W-6 (mineral) test instead.

In your case, you probably would want the iron test included (W-5a), and thus send the sample of water after it was filtered of course to measure the residual iron level.

If your water changes a lot "with the seasons," a test only has very limited value. In that case you may want to RO everything and never look back. Or use aquarium tests for all those minerals, hardness, alkalinity, etc. before you brew.

There are a lot of threads on this topic already.

Latest posts

Back