filtering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
As many of my posts have indicated clarity is a really big issue for me! I love the taste of my homebrews but I'm really looking to get commercial quality clarity. One thing I just tried produce super clear beer at bottling time, but now I'm a bit concerned. after primary was complete and I moved the iipa to dry hopping I range the siphoned beer through a mesh strainer, I did this as it went into the bottling bucket as well. My fear is this would this process disrupt any of the yeast still in suspension? My thought was no, it's a kitchen strainer, not some fancy apparatus. Will this disrupt the bottle conditioning phase and carbonation? Thanks

As many of my posts have indicated clarity is a really big issue for me! I love the taste of my homebrews but I'm really looking to get commercial quality clarity. One thing I just tried produce super clear beer at bottling time, but now I'm a bit concerned. after primary was complete and I moved the iipa to dry hopping I range the siphoned beer through a mesh strainer, I did this as it went into the bottling bucket as well. My fear is this would this process disrupt any of the yeast still in suspension? My thought was no, it's a kitchen strainer, not some fancy apparatus. Will this disrupt the bottle conditioning phase and carbonation? Thanks

No, as yeast are microscopic and would easily go through the strainer. The issue you'll have is oxidation. By going through a strainer once fermentation was complete, not just once but two times, the beer is likely to be severely oxidized. It'll carb up fine, but not taste very good in the long term. So drink them fast!

You're fine. I do the same thing and have never had any issues. The mesh bags arent fine enough that yeast gets blocked, but it does help keep larger proteins and hop shrapnel out.

Latest posts

Back