Filling Torpedo keg for fridge from 5 gal kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
OK here's the scenario. No space for a kegerator in the house, so I want to be able to have a small 1.5 gal keg that we keep in our main fridge that will stay carbed up but is compact enough to be wife friendly. Those little torpedo kegs from morebeer look like they are a good option for this. Is there any reason I can't fill this off my regular 5 gal kegs I keep in the garage? What kind of things do I need to do to make this work? How to transfer? And once I remove 1.5 from the 5 gal keg what do I do about the extra headspace?

I'm new to kegging (did my first 5 gal a month ago) so I'm trying to feel my way out here , thanks guys.

I can spend your money for you...

You just need to use a closed transfer process: Hook up CO2 to 5 gallon keg. Put a spunding valve on your 1.5 gallon keg. Connect out post to out post with a jumper hose. Start transferring.

Just keep your 5 gallon keg pressurized with CO2, that’s what normally fills up the empty space in a keg;)

I can spend your money for you...

You just need to use a closed transfer process: Hook up CO2 to 5 gallon keg. Put a spunding valve on your 1.5 gallon keg. Connect out post to out post with a jumper hose. Start transferring.

Just keep your 5 gallon keg pressurized with CO2, that’s what normally fills up the empty space in a keg;)

OK well that's much simpler than I thought. What is a 'spunding valve' though?

thanks

@snarf7 Essentially it is a pressure relief valve that you can set to a certain pressure.

When moving carbonated beer you want a certain amount of back pressure in order to reduce foaming. If you 5G is set at 12 psi, you want your 1.5G to be just under that, say 11 psi. The spunding valve will release the CO2 that is displaced by the beer during the transfer process.

All good advice, I would just add that you should consider a 2.5gal if possible.

Take a look at some of the new stainless mini-kegs. They come in various sizes starting at 2Liter up to 10. Might be easier to put into the fridge and possible allow more than one type of beer to be handy.

What are you doing with your 5gal keg, is it cold or at ambient temp?

Latest posts

Back