Filling CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have always exchanged my CO2 tank but I am wondering if when filling a CO2 tank there is anything special that I need to look for? Does the gas have to be sterile? Is it 100% CO2 or a mix? Thanks for any advice.

It better be industry-standard "pure" CO2 else lord only knows what you'd be shoving into your beer :eek:
Check the last inspection date stamped near the neck to be sure your tank doesn't need a hydro test.
Otherwise, CO2 is CO2. Buy on price and/or convenience, your choice...

Cheers!

I've found that alot of the employees that work at the local places are pretty familiar with homebrewing's use for the CO2...just let them know you're using it for kegging and they'll do you right. I even had one offer me a deal on my first tank when I told him it was for brewing beer.

When I exchange tanks at my LHBS they always have a "beverage grade" sticker on them. Is it really any different than industrial/weld shop CO2?

Back