Filling a used bourbon barrel for the first time, need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I've acquired a used 5 gallon Balcones whiskey barrel 3 weeks ago and plan to fill it with my imperial porter within the next 2 weeks. I have never done this before and was wondering how I should approach it. The barrel came looking clean and plugged with a rubber stopper. I only opened it a few times to smell the inside and have kept it dry and plugged up in my basement for the last 3 weeks. Is there anything I should do before filling it? I read to add hot (~180*F) water and let it sit on both sides to sterilize the barrel before filling. Not sure if that is the right approach and was just wondering what you guys think I should do before I siphon this tasty beer into the barrel.

If the barrel was recently used to age bourbon, and the interior hasn't been exposed excessively to the environment, you shouldn't need to sanitize the insides before use. I just did this a couple of months ago, and I didn't do anything to the inside of the barrel, other than drain out all the remaining bourbon (it was delicious!) Leaving any bourbon remnants in the barrel would probably give you an overpowering bourbon flavor in the beer. I racked from primary into the keg, and filled it right up to the bung. Then sealed it with a rubber stopper with an airlock, in case fermentation wasn't completely finished. Left mine in the barrel for a month, and the bourbon character is unmistakable (some might consider it to be too much, but a lot of folks in my club like it, and so do I.) Good luck.

Also, you don't want the barrel to dry out. This can result in leaks and may allow things you don't want in there to sneak in the cracks. If storing for more than a couple of weeks before filling, cover the outsides with wet towels, or do something else to keep the wood moist.

Brew on :mug:

Sounds good, thanks for the reply! I just sprayed the outside of the barrel with a light spritz of starsan to keep it moist. Was this a good idea? I would rather give it a spritz every once in a while than leave a wet towel in my basement...

Sounds good, thanks for the reply! I just sprayed the outside of the barrel with a light spritz of starsan to keep it moist. Was this a good idea? I would rather give it a spritz every once in a while than leave a wet towel in my basement...

Regular spray downs should work fine.

Brew on :mug:

I believe that the directions for Star San say not to use it on wood...

EDIT: I just looked, and it only says not to use it on wood cutting boards or other porous surfaces. I presume it is because it cannot thoroughly sanitize those surfaces.

So I've acquired a used 5 gallon Balcones whiskey barrel 3 weeks ago and plan to fill it with my imperial porter within the next 2 weeks. I have never done this before and was wondering how I should approach it. The barrel came looking clean and plugged with a rubber stopper. I only opened it a few times to smell the inside and have kept it dry and plugged up in my basement for the last 3 weeks. Is there anything I should do before filling it? I read to add hot (~180*F) water and let it sit on both sides to sterilize the barrel before filling. Not sure if that is the right approach and was just wondering what you guys think I should do before I siphon this tasty beer into the barrel.

I just filled my 5 gal Balcones barrel about 6 weeks ago. It was dry for about three months before I filled it. I did add near boiling water to mine, about 2 gallons, and boy I'm glad I did. That thing leaked like a sieve for about 10 minutes between the staves until the wood swelled up enough to stop it. The heads leaked as well. I poured more hot water on each head and let it sit for (I think) 20 minutes. It took maybe an hour total for it to stop leaking altogether. Don't worry about loosing any of that incredible whiskey flavor, there is still plenty of it in there.

Thanks for your input jaydubwill, i would hate to see my beer leak through the barrel! Should I go ahead with adding the hot water like i read elsewhere? I dont want to take any flavor from the barrel but what good is it if my beer drains right out?

Yes, I would, to make sure it doesn't leak if nothing else. You won't lose any flavor, it's deep in that wood.

If you use hot water, make sure you drain it after the swell. That temp is great for promoting bacteria growth as it cools. Another option is grab a bottle of bourbon ( I'd do a cheap $20 bottle) and swell it with the bourbon. Add the bottle, let it sit, rotate, until ready to fill. Pour out and enjoy the bourbon

If you use hot water, make sure you drain it after the swell. That temp is great for promoting bacteria growth as it cools. Another option is grab a bottle of bourbon ( I'd do a cheap $20 bottle) and swell it with the bourbon. Add the bottle, let it sit, rotate, until ready to fill. Pour out and enjoy the bourbon

I would use bourbon. My 1st use barleywine in a Balcones barrel soured on me so the extra bourbon will both swell & disinfect. Extra wet barrel = extra booziness which is what i love. Welcome to the world of barrels!
Oh....and Bisco lives :)

I would use bourbon. My 1st use barleywine in a Balcones barrel soured on me so the extra bourbon will both swell & disinfect. Extra wet barrel = extra booziness which is what i love. Welcome to the world of barrels!
Oh....and Bisco lives :)

Back