Filling a growler with a twist on cap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
Yesterday my brother and I were at our parents house for lunch and as I was leaving, he handed me a 1/2 gallon growler that he bought from a local brew pub (that had beer in it that he finished off). He asked me to fill it up for him and bring it over to his place.

I guess I could. I said to him that it might not stay carbonated. Is there anyways to prolong keeping it carbonated in one of those? I'd like to just pour it out of the keg and stuff. Any sort of advice on this?

DIY growler filler from a faucet is pretty easy. Put a 12-14" home on your faucet, turn the PSIs down to 3-5 and fill from the bottom.

Fill the growler until it starts to foam over and put the cap on while the headspace of the growler is still full of foam. Done.

It should be nice and carbonated for as long as your brother wants, provided that the cap has a good seal.

Once he opens the growler and pours some beer out, the clock starts ticking. It will be noticeably flat in about 24 hours.

Fill the growler until it starts to foam over and put the cap on while the headspace of the growler is still full of foam. Done.

It should be nice and carbonated for as long as your brother wants, provided that the cap has a good seal.

Once he opens the growler and pours some beer out, the clock starts ticking. It will be noticeably flat in about 24 hours.

Why stop when it fills with foam? Fill it up and purge most of the foam out too, and it will hold even better. I know from when I didn't have my growler tube that it still goes flat quickly if there's too much headspace, even if it's from foam not O2.

You could go DIY, but growler filler tubes aren't expensive. A tube is necessary though, or else you'll waste a lot of beer trying to get it anywhere near full, in fact it probably won't when trying to fill from the top instead of bottom.

I also don't understand why you'd turn your PSI down, unless you wanted to save as much beer as possible. My understanding is growler shops even overcarbonate a bit, so it keeps longer.

Just do it like they do, bottom fill it up, keep it refrigerated, and it will last weeks if not months before opening.

Why stop when it fills with foam? Fill it up and purge most of the foam out too, and it will hold even better. I know from when I didn't have my growler tube that it still goes flat quickly if there's too much headspace, even if it's from foam not O2.

You could go DIY, but growler filler tubes aren't expensive. A tube is necessary though, or else you'll waste a lot of beer trying to get it anywhere near full, in fact it probably won't when trying to fill from the top instead of bottom.

I also don't understand why you'd turn your PSI down, unless you wanted to save as much beer as possible. My understanding is growler shops even overcarbonate a bit, so it keeps longer.

Just do it like they do, bottom fill it up, keep it refrigerated, and it will last weeks if not months before opening.

Because if you fill it like brewpubs do, you're going to waste a lot of beer.

You turn your PSI down so you don't need to use a bottle/growler filler.

I don't use a growler filler. I just turn down the PSI and take my time. I get the growler about 85% full and just cap it when the foam starts to overflow.

Latest posts

Back