Figuring out hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
For those of you who have created your own recipes, how do you determine when to add your hops? I know that bittering hops go in for the entire boil, for the most part (the longer they are in, the more bitterness they impart). But for aroma and flavor hops, how do you come up with 'put this one in at 15 minutes, this one at 5, this one at flame out, etc'?

Thanks

I am not an expert by any means, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It is all a matter of preference and there really isn't a science to it, you just kinda go with what you feel. It sounds like you have the basic idea that the longer the hops are in the boil, the more bitterness (IBU's) and less flavor/aroma they give off. So, with that knowledge, make your additions accordingly. One thing to consider, if you're trying to stay within style guidelines is IBU's. If you are targeting an IBU amount, you might want to set your hop schedule around it and add late additions (5 mins - flameout) for aroma/flavor as they will add little to no IBU but leave more aroma.

Check out John Palmer's section on Hop Utilization in his free online book "How To Brew". It might shed some light on some of the questions you have.

Actually, I'll disagree with @Biscuits and tell you that it's 100% science as all the questions have been answered regarding this topic with immense data.

In a nutshell, consider the alpha acids of the hop. The early editions will bitter the wort and boil off the aroma, and the later editions will not bitter the wort, but keep the aroma from the hops in the wort. The current trend to is to add your bitter hops at the start of your boil and not add any aroma hops until the last 15 min ~ Flame out :)

For the Love of Hops

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need to find out what types of hop profiles are to your tastes in terms of addition time focus (fwh, late hopbursting, dry hopping, whirlpooling etc) and what hop flavors you usually look for (pine, citrus, floral, spicy, tropical, stone fruit, grassy, etc). You can go about it very scientific and methodically or just through trial and error. Theres really no wrong way to go about it as long as you learn along the way

For instance, personally, I mainly focus on whirlpool/hopstand additions. I like to get as much hop character as I can in my beer, but with as little lingering bitterness as I can manage. So for me thats usually (5gal IPA) 1oz at 60min, 1-2 oz at 10-15min) and then a buttload at flameout, saving 3-4oz for dry hopping. I kind of usually just fly by the seat of my pants most of the time like I do cooking. Just be sure to record what you do

I figure anything between an hour and half hour will be more bittering and less than half hour more flavor and less bitter and use the last 15 min for mostly flavor. I put my recipe in Brewers Friend so I can play around with the hop amounts and time for the IBU's I am after, I research the hop for if it is better as a bitter or aroma- Hopunion has good info on the hops and their flavor profile, and look on here for which hops play well together if I want to get really creative.

LOL There you have it. I guess I consider brewing more of an art than a science, but that's just me.

Oh no, I think there is a ton of art to brewing... I have to be in the Mode, a zen like status, or the beer is crap. Same thing about making dinner. It is a direct reflection of my mood. If I'm upset or pissed off, it shows in my food via burns, char, under-doneness and bad flavors. If I'm happy as a bee, I'm putting out food that impresses! Yet, it's the same recipe

Art is involved!!!

getting a good software program like Beersmith is a great start as well, since it will calculate IBUs for you allowing you to play around with addition times/amounts. just remember that your early additions will be all bitterness and later additions will be flavor/aroma. i usually shoot for 1/3-1/2 of my total IBUs from a FWH bittering charge and then get the rest of my IBUs from slamming in the last ten minutes, and then also doing multiple stages of whirlpools for the aroma and flavor

Thanks, all. Yes, I do have the basic understanding of bitter early, flavor late, and aroma really late. I also use iBrewmaster II to keep track, so I can tweak my recipes as needed. But, as my all grain brew stand will be complete within the month, I wanted to start creating my own recipes, hence my curiosity into hop additions. Your answers have actually been quite helpful.

Latest posts

Back