FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We brewed the free NB Peace 2nd Crack Coffee Stout on the 7th. So after almost 2 weeks I took a gravity sample last night. The beer is very good and both my daughter (stout lover) and her husband (on 4th plate at the Flying Saucer) loved the sample! I'm pretty happy cause this is just my second 5 gallon batch :D

Our starting gravity measured 1.068 and last nights sample was 1.020. The FG target is 1.018. I figure it needs a bit more time in the fermenter regardless of the gravity, but I am curious and still learning. If the gravity is stable at 1.020 instead of getting down to 1.018 is that an issue? How much of a miss of final gravity is normal?

Thanks,

Are you using a refractometer to measure the FG? If so, try again with a hydrometer. Refractometers don't measure properly with alcohol present, and tend to measure a higher FG than actual.

If not, let it be for a few more days to a week and try again.

It's not really a problem if the final gravity is 1.020, as long as it tastes good and isn't too sweet. If it's not done fermenting and you bottle it, you could end up with hand granades.

1.020 is close enough. The more important thing is to be sure it's truly finished dropping before you bottle it up.

Thanks for the inputs. Hydrometer only right now. That's how we had enough of a sample to taste! I planned on another week, but will measure again tomorrow night.

From what I have read, 3 weeks in the primary and then bottling, even if gravity is stable, does not seem long enough. Is there an advantage to leaving it in the primary longer as opposed to bottling and letting it age in the bottles for a couple of more weeks?

The main advantage is to give it more time to clear. Another advantage is if there were off-flavors due to less than optimal fermentation conditions, the extra time on the yeast would help clean up some of those off-flavors.

1.020 vs 1.018 .... It is done.

Leaving it longer will help clear the beer - less sediment in the bottle.

If you want to see if it will go another couple of points, you can move it to a higher temperature, but I think that is a waste of effort.

Yeast clean up - is done a few days after fermentation is complete, and it seems like it is done.

Extra time in the fermenter is not a problem, but you are really only getting additional clarity (which will also happen in the bottle).

I have lots of beers, and a decent pipeline. Apart from very hop forward beers, mine usually take 6 weeks before they are bottled. Just my process; I am not an advocate of early bottling, but from what you say, you could bottle tomorrow if you wanted to.

I really appreciate the info! I just love this forum. I'm going to sample again tonight when I am done cooking, just to see if it's stable, then probably bottle it right after Christmas. Should have a young stout ready for a taste on New Years, and an even better one a couple of weeks later!

Back