FerMonster Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
Hi all, I just purchased a 6 Gal. Fer-Monster, replacing one of my old ones. On my first use yesterday the o ring dropped out of the cap into the beer. A quick thrust and retrieved it with a wet hand. I have given it some thought for a fix including some petroleum jelly or making digits in the cap with my soldering iron to hold the o ring in place but allow its removal. Has any one else had this problem and a solution? I have limited functions with my hands so I need something simple.
Ed B

It is a known problem which is not actually a problem.
You have to look carefully and in good light to the red cap.
There is a groove for the O-ring gasket.
The gasket will sit there perfectly and nothing else is needed for a tight closure.

I read other people in the internet with your same problem, apparently the problem arises from installing the gasket "too internal", on the inner side of the groove, instead of on the outer side.
Or, you have to "distribute" along the entire circumference the part of gasket which appears to be in excess. This "bubble" appears because the gasket is not fully into the groove.

In the page below you will find several videos explaining the positioning of the gasket. I did not have any problem following these instructions.

https://thevintageshop.ca/products/fermonster.html
As a side note, I suggest you replace the horrible conical plastic gasket of the tap (if you have a tap) with a red silicon "flat iron" gasket. You should find it at shops selling spare parts for home appliances, if you go there with the tap you will find the right diameter easily. If you tight too much, the conical plastic gasket which comes with the fermenter will develop a crack and a leakage will ensue.

Last edited:
Wow 5 video's on installing a o ring. I will admit I thought it was fine but with only 10% feeling in my hands I need to double check. When this ferment is over i m going to the hydraulic supply for a few spares.
Thanks Birrofilo

Back