Fermenting trouble, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcrew2002

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am brewing my first batch of cider and I am having trouble getting it to ferment, or it is just fermenting slow. I pitched yeast when the cider was at least 40 to 50 degrees still. it has been 2 days and I have yet to see any active bubbling in the air lock. should I be worried? Also, when is it appropriate to double pitch? My OG is around 1.070.

Thank you

"The air lock is not bubbling" does not mean that fermentation is not carried out definitely.Can you see or hear the signs of fermentation activities inside the fermenter?(bubbles rising from bottom to top or white/coloured foam on the surface of the liquid or the dark coloured residues are dried on the upper side walls of fermenter)
I think You have pitched the warm yeast in very cool environment and cells preferred to settle at the bottom of the fermenter and being dormant.I would raise the temp to about 70 and stir it gently to yeast cells get up again and start their work.also You can take sample and measure it's gravity to determine at what stage is fermentation. I would not patch again unless I'm be sure that initial yeast had been dead before or It has died during the process.

Hi everyone, I am brewing my first batch of cider and I am having trouble getting it to ferment, or it is just fermenting slow. I pitched yeast when the cider was at least 40 to 50 degrees still. it has been 2 days and I have yet to see any active bubbling in the air lock. should I be worried? Also, when is it appropriate to double pitch? My OG is around 1.070.

Thank you

If you check the OG in two days, and it's still 1.070, it could be repitched.

Back