Fermenting in IBC totes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried brewing in IBC totes? I’ve been researching like crazy and there just isn’t that much out there that I can find. I’d love to get anyone’s thoughts that’s actually done it.

I've seen quite a few random IBCs used as fermenters on Milk The Funk. More geared to funky beer than cider, but there IS the occasional cider post, although not related to IBC totes.

Do they make smaller ones? I'm used to them holding 275 gallons. Otherwise that's a LOT of cider to make at home.

On the farms everybody just calls them tanks, usually "the tank". used to keep emergency water for livestock. cool idea if you can get one in a size that suits you.

On the farms everybody just calls them tanks, usually "the tank". used to keep emergency water for livestock. cool idea if you can get one in a size that suits you.

Sorry about that I was slammed all day racking. A lot of commercial cideries use IBC’s for cider as it’s dirt cheap and works pretty well. They make food grade for about $150 brand new.

Never been to a cidery or winery which doesn't have at least a few IBCs squirreled around. They are just too useful. I don't use them often, but they really save the day in a pinch when stainless tank space is tight. Gotta get a transfer pump though, as you're not going to be lifting them up on the counter to rack.

Cider Workshop is open to the public, but can be somewhat UK focused. Great resource of knowledge. Heads up though, do not call cidermaking 'brewing' over there, they can be very particular regarding vocabulary.

Back