Fermenting in a 6 Gallon Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
Hey! Just about to brew my second batch. Can I ferment a 5 gallon batch of brew in a 6 gallon better bottle? I don't plan to switch to a secondary. All fermentation will be done in the 6 gallon better bottle. Thanks!

Of course, and it'll have more room during active fermentation than a 5... which is good for krausen and such.

Absolutely go ahead! I have two 5 gallon BB's and one 6 gallon. I do the primary fermentation in the 6 gallon, and then rack over to one of the 5's so I can brew and get another primary going.

And I ALWAYS use a blow-off tube for the first three days of primary fermentation, even with the 6 gallon BB.

glenn514:mug:

Cool your wort well before you pitch the yeast and keep the fermeter near the low range of temperature for the yeast and you may not need a blowoff tube. The Belgian Wit I made yesterday is giving me a bubble every 1 1/2 seconds because I am fermenting cool. Had I pitched the yeast when the wort was too warm the yeast would be going crazy by now.

Yup, all I use is 6 gallon better bottles with a blow off tube for fermentation. I can eaisly get two in my fermchamber while my conical takes up the entire chamber.

So it's fine to keep it in the 6 gallon BB until bottling? I don't want to mess with transferring to a secondary 5 gallon.

So it's fine to keep it in the 6 gallon BB until bottling? I don't want to mess with transferring to a secondary 5 gallon.

It will be fine in that Better Bottle for months if you want to wait for bottling. I've gone 9 weeks in a plastic pail and your Better Bottle is likely better than my pail. A poster on another forum reported good results with his beer that spent 8 months in primary.

Absolutely fine to leave it in the 6 gallon until bottling. I rack mine out because I want to free up my 6 gallon for another primary batch, while the beer continues to ferment/condition in one of my 5 gallon bottles. Better Bottles are extremely good at keeping the "bad" stuff out, and the "good" stuff in.

glenn514:mug:

Latest posts

Back