Fermenting in a 1 gallon jug issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMasterRace

Enthusiastic Homebrewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

My yeast is a bit more active than I was expecting in a 1 gallon jug. It blew the three piece airlock out 3 times prior to getting shot up into the air and onto the floor.

I tried to making a blow off tube, but unfortunately don't have any tubing that is a small enough to fit it.

So I decided to do something that I've done for mead in the past which is to loosely attach some aluminium foil. I was wondering if you guys had experience with doing this and what your thoughts on it may be.

Please let me know!

Side note, not too worried about it making a mess, I have it in my brewing pot.
IMG_20190120_091403.jpeg

The only potential problem I see from the picture is the rubber band, as long as it is loose enough to allow CO2 to escape you'll be fine.

The only potential problem I see from the picture is the rubber band, as long as it is loose enough to allow CO2 to escape you'll be fine.
I only wrapped it twice so that it wouldn't fall off. would it be better to use a bigger piece of aluminium and have its weight anchor it?

The rubber band will probably stay on better than a larger piece of foil. It only needs to be loose enough to prevent pressure building up. If you get any foam coming out under the rubber band that's more than enough for gas to escape.

The foil being crimped on the neck should be enough to keep it in place. At least it has when I’ve had stir plate issues and the yeast decided to escape!

Latest posts

Back