fermenting has stopped what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewbie12

Reaction score
Today it the 4th day of fermenting and the airlock has stopped bubbling. There was a good amount of airlock action last night but not today. Is that normal is there anything i can do or is it a goner. The temp reads 75 on the side of the bucket also.

The airlock activity is not going to tell you that it's fermenting. If it's only been 4 days just be patient and wait it out. The only way for sure to know if fermentation has stopped is to take a gravity reading for a few days in a row. If the reading doesn't change then it's done.

This happens a lot, sometimes there won't be any airlock activity. Wait a few more days and take a reading.

The most active fermentation happens in the first few days. Then it slows down (less airlock activity) doesn't mean you have a problem.

If the temp is 75 then the yeast probably blew right through the sugar in four days. But yes, wait... Take a gravity reading at one week.

Ok I was just caught off guard I guess. My last batch bubbled for seven days and then just stopped. Should I lower my temp next time maybe

Yes, with rare exception, most ale yeast make the best flavors in the 60s. Some low, some middle, some high... But not typically up in the mid 70s. Remember that the high krausen stage of fermentation will be from 2 or 3 to several degrees warmer than the room temp. So you need to plan for that.

Ok I was just caught off guard I guess. My last batch bubbled for seven days and then just stopped. Should I lower my temp next time maybe

It depends on the yeast. Look on the package or the manufacturer's website for the optimum range. I like just under the mid point of the range for most ales.

Remember that fermentation creates heat so the temperature can go higher than ambient if you don't have good temperature control.

I would go at least 7-10 days then take a gravity reading, wait at least 24 hours and take another one. If you get the same number it is safe to bottle your beer.

I do most of mine for 21 days, 14 if I am short on finished beers. Sometimes I get lazy and leave them in primary longer, once about 2 months. The beer was really good.

Ok thanks for all of the info guys. I'll try getting the temp lower next time. I guess it's time to invest in a fermenting chamber just not sure on the electronics part of the build

Ok thanks for all of the info guys. I'll try getting the temp lower next time. I guess it's time to invest in a fermenting chamber just not sure on the electronics part of the build

My fermenting chamber build is a cement floor in the basement and a wet towel.

Pretty advanced.

Don't overthink it... swamp coolers are another relatively cheap/simple option.

My fermenting chamber build is a cement floor in the basement and a wet towel.

Pretty advanced.

Don't overthink it... swamp coolers are another relatively cheap/simple option.

This is a good point.

I started a batch last weekend and wanted to keep better temp control. My brews usually stay at 68 in the corner of my kitchen, but fermentation was warming up this batch to 73 real quick. So I just got a t-shirt wet, and put it over the carboy, and for two days that seemed to keep the ferm temp down to 66.

when the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Then another 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty.
Having said that, trying to keep the ferment temps in the range specified by the yeast manufacturer would be best. The online supply sites usually have PDF's to link to about how to treat their yeast.

Latest posts

Back