Fermenting bucket questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsidebrewingco

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. Can I use a plastic bucket I can purchase at my local WalMart to ferment in?? Both of my glass carboys are full at the moment and I want to do another brew. Are there some differences between the one ordered from a home brew supply store? I can buy a white 6 gallon bucket with lid for 5 bucks and just drill for an airlock for use if its no different from the ones sold by brew stores.

The home brew ones are FOOD grade! They are suitable for processing food without any sort of danger of toxins and contamination. They are certified not to leach harmful chemicals into the beer or wort.

Probably, as long as it is food grade plastic. Also, you'll need some sort of rubber ring to create a good seal around the drilled hole (where you stick the airlock in the lid).

Food grade makes sense, never thought of that. Im guessing the ones at WalMart are run of the mill general purpose plastic

Food grade makes sense, never thought of that. Im guessing the ones at WalMart are run of the mill general purpose plastic

Might be worth checking prices at a restaurant supply company. I kind of doubt the price will be low enough to justify the effort of messing with modifications, but you never know.

I can order one, I was just being impatient and looking for a quick fix. Ingredients are to expensive not to wait 2 days for a bucket!

I can order one, I was just being impatient and looking for a quick fix. Ingredients are to expensive not to wait 2 days for a bucket!

I wonder how you'll like it. I prefer buckets to glass carboys quite a bit! Let us know how the bucket experience goes for you!

I know some of the ones sold by big box hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) are food grade, and cheap. Just check the markings to make sure they are food grade.

Check the number in the recycling symbol. It should also say on the bucket what type of plastic it's made from. HDPE is what you're looking for or a '2' in the triangle symbol. If the number is 1, 2, 4, or 5 it should be fine. Even the store brand buckets at lowes and home depot are food grade from what I've seen. They're only 5 gallons is the biggest problem I see with them. It's hard to find 6 or 6.5 gallon sizes locally except at the LHBS, at least around here.

Are you sure they are actually 6 gallon buckets. Everything I have seen anywhere except at a homebrew or wine supply store are 5 gallon. It might be 6 to the rim but you can not fit a 5 gallon batch in one without creating a mess when the krausen blows out of it.

BTW, The Home Depot orange buckets are reportedly not food grade. I don't know about the white ones but they are both 5 gallons. Store grain in them but unless you are doing smaller batches, don't try to ferment in them.

Are you sure they are actually 6 gallon buckets. Everything I have seen anywhere except at a homebrew or wine supply store are 5 gallon. It might be 6 to the rim but you can not fit a 5 gallon batch in one without creating a mess when the krausen blows out of it.

BTW, The Home Depot orange buckets are reportedly not food grade. I don't know about the white ones but they are both 5 gallons. Store grain in them but unless you are doing smaller batches, don't try to ferment in them.

I bought some of the white buckets the other day. It says FOOD GRADE right on the bucket, but i did not check the stats on the bottom. I just use them for grain storage since they were so cheap (less than $2).

The white plastic buckets from Walmart are mostly 5 gallons, HDPE, food grade, and the lids seal without the gasket. Sometimes in the sporting goods section they have 6.5 gallon HDPE buckets. You might have to ask for them. The same lids fit both buckets and the buckets you get from you LHBS. Walmart lids are not drilled for an airlock buy you can drill them yourself or if you are doing small batches and don't need to see the bubbles, you can drill a smaller hole and tape a piece of plastic wrap over it. Only tape 3 sides so there is a space for the gasses to escape.

Lowes has food grade 5g buckets
You can check it out online first to make sure your local store has them in stock.
I picked up one for a secondary...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Or contact local bakeries for frosting buckets they plan to throw away. I've gotten quite a few 2 g, 3.5 g, and 6 g buckets that way. All free. I just soak PBW in them overnight, scrub, and sanitize.

I bought some of the white buckets the other day. It says FOOD GRADE right on the bucket, but i did not check the stats on the bottom. I just use them for grain storage since they were so cheap (less than $2).

For that price you can buy two, drill both lids, and split your batch. More floor space, but less wallet drain.

For that price you can buy two, drill both lids, and split your batch. More floor space, but less wallet drain.

Plus you can try different yeasts/fermtemps on the same wort! :)

But you have to clean twice as many buckets. :(

But you can try different aging times! :)

But...oh hell.

I had been using 5 gallon buckets from both Wal-Mart bakeries and Home Depot, and now my Wal-Mart uses rectangular buckets that are about 3 gallons or so, and with tapered sides and installing a spigot would be clumsy I think. I may start using them for making cider, and see how it goes.

Back