Fermenting away!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stieger2012

Reaction score
Started fermenting my first kit today (Festa Brew Wheat). All went well except my OG reading...when I picked up the starter kit a few days ago I grabbed a test tube since the kit didn't come with one. I started paying for everything and the guy at the checkout said "oh you don't need the test tube, just take your reading right in the pail" I thought hey, that's a great idea...until i poured the wort into the pail and everything foamed up. Should have gone with the test tube! I'll pick one up tomorrow so I can start monitoring properly.

Just want to thank everyone on the forum for the great info, helped me out a great deal so far!

Good luck!!! Definitely recommend good fermentation temperatures. I very important! My first beer from Midwest supplies (amber ale) had an off flavor I believe was from high fermentation temps. 2 others since have turned out very well since I have kept an eye on them. If the test tube is for the hydrometer, i would recommend a wine thief.

Good luck!!! Definitely recommend good fermentation temperatures. I very important! My first beer from Midwest supplies (amber ale) had an off flavor I believe was from high fermentation temps. 2 others since have turned out very well since I have kept an eye on them. If the test tube is for the hydrometer, i would recommend a wine thief.

Thank you. Right now temp is 65, judging from what I have read on the forums I don't think I want it getting much higher. The test tube is for the hydrometer, I've seen a few people suggest a turkey baster to get a sample for the tube. Wonder if that does just a good of a job?

Latest posts

Back