fermenting and kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bela

Reaction score
HI, I have a few questions on the brewing process. I'm fairly new to brewing so I don't understand all the specific's. I started out doing the 1-2-3 week fermenting. After reading some I now keep in the carboy for 1 month. And keg for 3 weeks. They seem the same to me either way I do it.

One question I have. if my fermenting is usually done in one week why can't I go right to keg? I know the extra time is for clearing aging but will it taste that much different if I kegged after only I week fermenting. One month seems a little long. But what do I know.

The other question I have is on kegging. Normally I leave in keg for 3 weeks. It seems a little flat. 4 weeks is better and 5 weeks seems better yet. What are your thoughts on this. I put 15 to 20 lbs to start for co 2 and after 3 weeks drop to 10 lbs. and use 1 cup of corn sugar.

you are double carbing yor beer it seems to me.. you are trying to naturally carb it PLUS putting it on gas. You need to pick one or the other I think. Either let it set 2-4 weeks ( I tend to agree 4 weeks is unnecessary if everything was done right but I am an amatuer myself) Then rack to a keg and put the lid on and hit with about 5 lbs pressure and release...repeat a couple of times then crank the pressure up to your serving pressure and leave it for a couple of weeks..........or rack to your keg with your priming sugar mix in it...put the lid on and hit it with 5 lbs of pressure and then release it, repeat a couple of times. Hit it with about 20 lbs to seal it up then take it off of the gas and store it at 70 degrees for 2-3 weeks. chill it down and release the pressure then hook the gas back up at normal serving pressure............OR rack to the keg....do the 5 lb pressure thing and then crank it up to 35 PSI and leave it a couple of days . turn off the gas and bleed off ther pressure. Hook the gas back up at normal serving pressure........OR rack to the keg and do the 5 lb thing then crank to 35 PSI and lay the keg on its side and start shaking it back and forth for about a half hour. Turn the gas off , bleed off the pressure and set at serving pressure...........AGAIN I am new to this but this is what I have gleaned from reading and kegging a few batches so far.

Back