Fermenting and carbing in a sun lit room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently moved into a smaller apartment in SF and don't have a ton of room to brew. We get a lot of natural light but no direct rays from the sun, as we are in the bottom of the house and there is a deck covering our back patio, so we get light, but nothing direct(except for a tiny amount of time in the morning) will this cause any problems for my beer? I have a shirt over my Carboy, so that no light gets in, but what about my bottles? Will it affect them? The temperature down here is a constant 65-70 degrees. It gets chillier but the shirt keeps my Carboy warm. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404690361.737442.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404690436.144443.jpg

The second picture is just to give you an idea of where the light comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Easy answer. Most beer stores have lots of natural and artificial light hitting the bottles. This of course skunks green and clear bottles quickly, but you do not notice this very much at all with brown bottles, especially not in the time frame you will likely be drinking them.

Now if they're in direct sunlight, maybe it can affect it a lot more, but they're more likely to suffer from age or temp first, IMO. Especially with the boxes you have that only allows light in from the top, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Definitely keep the box tops closed, or at least covered somehow. Even that amount of light over the course of time might do damage.

Back