Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic92

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first brew!

The fermentation bucket I got didn't have a hole in for an airlock, so I've had to use a hydrometer to decifer whether the fermentation is complete. It has been in the bucket for 6 days today. Day 5 read 1020 on the meter, and today, day 6, also read 1020. It says it should be 1014 to become ready for the barrel.
I'm guessing it still needs to be in the bucket for a but until it reaches 1014?
Just wanting some suggestions on what to do?
Thank you!

How are you releasing CO2 buildup from fermentation? Is the lid not air-tight?

As for your SG question, there are a multitude of reason you might not get the attenuation you're looking for. Give it a few more days untouched and take another reading. Even after you reach FG, let the beer sit for a while longer on the yeast to let them finish cleaning up the beer- no need to rush the craft of brewing!

The lid clips down sealed shut, however I lifted it up a but to let air escape. I'll be buying a new bucket that's for sure!

I'm guessing by the reading it's not ready yet.

Here are some pictures of my brew.

image.jpg

The lid clips down fully sealed, so I have Unclipped a side to let the air out.

If you drill a hole in the lid and push a rubber grommet into it, you'll have a hole for the airlock.

Either way, you should check gravity to see when fermentation is complete.

Yea, I'll be buying a better bucket for next time! I do seem to have froth around the bucket, so it looks like it's done something! I'll check the reading again tomorrow and see! :)

Back