Fermentation Water Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
I have been thinking about something similar to these also. I just think watter is going to be a much better method of getting the heat out of the fermentation and cooler temperatures in. I was wanting to do a direct transfer of warm watter from the fermentation bath in to a freezer on my kegerator and then cool water back to the bath. Lol, i guess a littl antifreeze would keep the watter in liquid state, but it's a bit of a risk.

Glycol should stay in the tubing - not mix with the water. The circulating glycol in a tubing wrap or other eat exchanger chills the water down. And the cool water keeps the beer within range. I've been using this method for years.

I will add that VOLUME is critical - the returning glycol or water in the tubing is warmer - and eventually the reservoir tank in the refrigerator or freezer will get too warm. Insulate where you can, but you will probably need 5 gallons of volume to carry this off successfully.

Back