Fermentation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdweil

Reaction score
I brewed a cider on Dec 8. It started fermenting on Dec 9. As of today, Dec 30, the airlock is still bubbling. Is it normal for it to go this long?

How warm is your fermentation room? I have a batch under the stairs that has been going since 11/18. Still bubbling away.

It's sitting at 62F. Do you wait until it stops to transfer? How long can that take? Thanks!

To be honest, I don't know. 62 seems on the low side, what yeast? I've never had one take longer than 3 weeks... but I use champagne yeast, and those buggers will eat through anything. this current batch is a raspberry, so I wanted to conserve the flavors if possible.

The longer you can keep your primary actively fermenting, the better. Trust me. It's actually one of my recommendations!!

I'm using Red Star Champaign yeast. It's starting to slow down so I hope to transfer it to a secondary soon. This batch will have spent around one month in the primary, then I plan on leaving it in the secondary for two more weeks before bottling to make sure all sugar has been consumed by the yeast. I hope it turns out well.

It bubbles about every thirty seconds as opposed to the two-three seconds that it was going at for several weeks.

I think its relative. Take note of activity throughout the entire fermentation.

I'll just ask my question in this thread instead of making a new one...

I started a 5 gal batch 2.5 weeks ago, OG was 1.054, just tested today and gravity was only down to 1.011. I used the Wyeast 4766 Cider activator with only 70 billion cells (LHBS didn't have the 100 billion cell pack for some reason). Should I add some US-05 dry yeast and move to a warmer location (currently at 62°F) or just wait a little longer?

EDIT: BAH! Nevermind, ignore this post. My gravity is currently at 1.001, apparently I can't read a hydrometer :( :)

Latest posts

Back