Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
I finally got a temperature controller and am using my spare fridge as a fermentation chamber. My question is, when a recipe calls for a specific fermentation temperature, is that what the ambient temperature is or what the actual temperature is inside the fermentation vessel?

Like if the recipe calls for a 62 degree temp, should I set my controller to 62 or a few degrees cooler to account for the increase in temp from the yeast activity?

I normally set mine about 8-10 deg lower for the first couple days, because that is when the yeast is creating the most heat, then bump it up to the rec temp

The temperature specified by the yeast manufacture is the temperature inside the fermentation vessel. Most recipes also follow this same convention. If you tape the thermocouple directly to the side of the carboy or bucket the temperature will generally stay within a degree of the actual fermentation temperature.

It's the temperature of the fermenting wort. The best way to use your temperature probe attached to your external controller is to use a thermowell in your fermenter, which you can slide the probe into inside the wort. The thermowell will protect the probe from moisture.

An easier, cheaper method is to take a piece of duct tape and tape it to the side of you fermenter vessel (bucket, carboy, etc.) below the wort water line. This is the method I use.

Remember, the fermenting wort temperature can easily be ten degrees or more over the ambient temperature.

Latest posts

Back