fermentation temperature schedual

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
i just built a ferm chamber but im not sure how exactly to use it now. taking US-05 as an example, say i pitch my yeast at 69F (21C) should i let it take off for twelve hours then place it in the ferm chamber at say 64F (18C) or just go straight into the ferm chamber at 64F. then once i go through my growth phase what should i do, i hear of jamile raising the temp how much and how long should i do this for should it be a could of degrees F a day and should i wait till the fermentation is finished or when its just finishing.
any articles or info on this would be great thanks

I chill my wort to the low end of the yeast's fermentation temp, go 2-3 days at that temp, then raise it to the high end of the temp range to finish it.

I agree with Cyclman. Start at the low end and let it rise after several days. Minimises temp driven grossness and encourages a strong finish to the fermentation. I do a slow rise over about 7 days

It is best to pitch the yeast into a wort that is at fermentation temperature, or slightly below. Pitching at a high temperature and then cooling to the fermentation temperature, is stressful on the yeast. The ideal fermentation temperature for US-05 is 66°F to 68°F. Lower ferm temps will yield a peach flavor, higher temps will yield fruity flavors in the beer.

When active fermentation is complete, about three to five days, the beer temperature can be allowed to rise, for a yeast like US-05, a couple of degrees. This will keep more yeast in suspension to clean up the by products of the fermentation which may add some off flavors to the beer.

Back