Fermentation Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moleary33

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been looking into a couple of options for fermentation control and still not sure what way to go.

I have seen some amazing setups along the way such as the ones and zeros brewery setup.. Oh one can dream!!
fermentationchambers1.jpg

To DIY fermentation chambers to glycol jacketed conical fermenters.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this?
I recently found this http://www.morebeer.com/products/ch...tation-temperature-stabilization-system.html# and was thinking of going this way with a 7 gal conical but would like to know if anyone has used this before or any feedback? My ambient temperature is around 74f

Cheers!!

For $250, I wouldn't want to still be swapping out ice buckets a la a ghetto swamp cooler.

I use a 7ft3 chest freezer with fermwrap and a black box temperature controller. With a thermowell, you can control heating/cooling with extreme accuracy and even set heating/cooling ramping programs. This will all set you back about the same amount, and allows for true set it and forget it for up to several weeks or more if necessary.

Ferm-wrap/thermowell and controller in a fridge with reflextix wrapper has done me well for a decade. for both carboys and conicals. I like stand-up freezers or fridges or a walk-in for ease of lifting.

Bought these from the manufacturer Brewtech and got it setup and tested this weekend. Will be posting a detailed review this week but just have to say they are awesome. The kept the water I was using to test to within a degree over the course of a day. Initially added 6 gallons of 96 F water and it was cooled down to 70 F in an hour or so and used 2 frozen 2 liter pop bottled.

Definitely would recommend.

Dave

Hey all,

I have been looking into a couple of options for fermentation control and still not sure what way to go.

I have seen some amazing setups along the way such as the ones and zeros brewery setup.. Oh one can dream!!
fermentationchambers1.jpg

To DIY fermentation chambers to glycol jacketed conical fermenters.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this?
I recently found this http://www.morebeer.com/products/ch...tation-temperature-stabilization-system.html# and was thinking of going this way with a 7 gal conical but would like to know if anyone has used this before or any feedback? My ambient temperature is around 74f

Cheers!!

The fridge and temp controller are really nice. I got a small fridge on craigslist and bought the johnson controller (originally wanted the black box but they didn't have any). It just makes it so simple to be able to set the number on the controller and not have to worry about it. No more frozen water bottles, swamp coolers, constantly checking the temp.

I bought a 5 cu/ft. Haeir chest freezer at Sam's for $179 and a Ranco temp control off Amazon for $39. I used an old extension cord to wire it up and now I ferment at 67 degrees and forget it. They also have a 7 cu/ft. for $199 (probably going to get that one soon so I can ferment two batches at a time) and then covert the smaller one to a keezer.

I like using wine coolers for my ferm chambers. You can usually find them without a compressor hump which I love. There are a couple of cheap Avanti options out there, their 28 bottle one fits a bucket or 6gal carboy perfect. Alot of them have digital controllers for the cooler on the outside of the unit (I dont really trust it but hey, its better than nothing). I just slap on a fermwrap and a single stage johnson and it works pretty well.

OP - Instead of dropping $250 on a shiny conical consider dropping that on a 7.0 cu ft chest freezer instead. They are always on sale on holidays at Lowes or Depot and you can fit more than one beer in there. Zero maintenance too - get a temperature control, set it, and forget it.

I'm looking to use glycol in a temp controlled freezer with the SS Technologies conical and temp control system. I contacted wyeast and ss tech for guidance. Both thought it would work. The plan is a bucket with an 80% glycol mixture and temps below your target temp. The only word of caution I got was to be cautious of overshoot. I.e. Your freezer is to cold and you overshoot the systems sensor. They both recommended that I maintain temps roughly 15 degrees below target fermentation temps. I plan on two conicals working with two 7 gallon buckets in the freezer. The only challenge I see is attempting to maintain temps for a lager and a ale simultaneously. That may be too big of a spread if you lagering while trying to run a primary on an ale

I have decided to go with a chest freezer and temperature control. I live in downtown San Francisco where space is limited and my SWMBO has agreed so long as i do the same as my keezer and make it look like a piece of furniture and stain and paint it...

I would like to the black box temperature control but since they are still not available i might look making my own with the STC

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

^^^ Why did these images post sideways when they are not on my computer??

I have decided to go with a chest freezer and temperature control. I live in downtown San Francisco where space is limited and my SWMBO has agreed so long as i do the same as my keezer and make it look like a piece of furniture and stain and paint it...

I would like to the black box temperature control but since they are still not available i might look making my own with the STC

Similar to the black box but a sold with more accessories.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/fe...0-temp-controller-fermwrap-thermowell-500032/

Latest posts

Back