Fermentation Temperature Control idea....your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneFeather

Reaction score
I have lurked here for awhile. I plan to brew my first batch of extract this fall, if not sooner. But from what I have seen the first best improvement that one can do is have a controlled fermentation temperature. Living in Minnesota I would really want to have dual temperature control. Ideally I would want to keep the Carboy down to lager temperatures.

I have seen the fermentation chamber DIYs, and there are some great options, but what do you think about a "Cooling" Beer Belt.

http://www.veskimo.com/servlet/the-12/personal-body-cooling-vest/Detail

My thought is that there could be a small water pump, controlled by a dual aquarium temperature controller, that pumps widow washer fluid through the Cooling Belt and into a window washer fluid bath in a near by freezer.

Post up you thoughts,

I was thinking about doing something like that but after I figured out the cost I realized that it would be cheaper and more efficient to buy a used chest freezer.

Neat idea. Doesn't look too inexpensive, but I haven't priced comparable cooling methods. You might be able to scavenge a mini fridge capable of holding a carboy, and a temp controller for around the same price.

One suggestion would be to find out what kind of tubing is running through the vest to make sure it's compatible with the window washer fluid, or whatever other cooling fluid you use (ethylene glycol / antifreeze is pretty common too).

Back