Fermentation Temperature Changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahlinux

Reaction score
I have 10 gals of an IPA that has been in my fermentation chamber for six days. On day four I ramped up the temperature from 67F to 72F. Gravity readings are at FG per BeerSmith, however they have dropped a point or two since warming up the fermenters. I would like to brew again without waiting the two weeks I usually wait between batches.

My question is will it hurt the beer to cool down while I dry hop it? I can either remove the fermenters from the chamber and let them sit in the basement at 57F or leave them in the chamber and once I add the new beer the chamber will most likely get down to 60F while it’s controlling the temp of the new beer as it begins to ferment.

Any thoughts?

Dry hopping doesn't work well at serving temperatures, but should be fine at 60ish.
I don't see any harm in this.

Dry hopping doesn't work well at serving temperatures, but should be fine at 60ish.
I don't see any harm in this.
Do you think there is any harm in cooling the beer off by 10F a week into fermentation?

Why not just bring the buckets out of the basement and into your house where its warmer?
Really don’t like moving the fermenters around much, stirs everything up. Plus my basement brewery has everything I need in one place, that was the whole purpose of building it.

if
Really don’t like moving the fermenters around much, stirs everything up. Plus my basement brewery has everything I need in one place, that was the whole purpose of building it.
I hear ya but your posting questions that are real easy to fix. I can tell you with absolute certainly that moving a fermenter will cause zero issues. Anything that's already settled out will settle back out in no time..

Moving a fermenter isn't exactly difficult.. Leaving it in your brew area for the sake of leaving in the brew area if the temps aren't right is just silly

I hear ya but your posting questions that are real easy to fix. I can tell you with absolute certainly that moving a fermenter will cause zero issues. Anything that's already settled out with settle back out in no time..

Moving a fermenter isn't exactly difficult.. Leaving it in your brew area for the sake of leaving in the brew area is just silly
I get what you are saying. I’m really interested in finding out if it would do the beer any harm cooling it down to 60F while it’s in the middle of dry hopping. I don’t have to brew before this current batch is ready I just want to.

You won’t have any issues dry hopping at 60. Firestone walker advocates a cooler dry hop temp.

Latest posts

Back