Fermentation temp range for pales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
I searched but I couldn't really find an answer.

I basically use four strains of yeast, 05, 1056, 1272 and Notty. I've been fermenting all my pales at 62, and I'm pondering about moving it up to 65, but I Was worried about notty being that high. I'm wondering if 1272 might benefit from a 65-68 to accent the hops a little more.

Is there a chart breakdown with tighter temp than 60-72 per yeast strain somewhere? 60-72 seemingly can offer a wide range of different flavors per style ( or so I think?), I'm more interested in 60-62, 63-65, 65-68.... Theoretically I *could* make like ten batches and ferment at different temps... but will it be noticeable/worthwhile?

My rule of thumb has been just keep the temp the same, and now is searching through threads about temp, people seem to raise the temp to 68ish after fermentation noticeably starts. Good idea? Bad idea?

What average temps/techniques do you all use? I think the noticeable response is going to be which ever produces the best beer I like, but what have been some success stories attributed to fermentation temp?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: after I posted this popped up: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/ideal-fermentation-temp-given-yeasts-viable-range-259490/
foiled by search words

I could be way wrong, but I always assumed that fermenting at the upper limits of a yeasts temp range will give more esters, while fermenting near the lower limit will be more clean.

enohcs said:
I could be way wrong, but I always assumed that fermenting at the upper limits of a yeasts temp range will give more esters, while fermenting near the lower limit will be more clean.

This. I used Notty @ 69-70 but that gave a lot of fruity esters (which I wanted in my pumpkin porter!) that I'd think one would want to avoid in a pale ale. Standard reply seems to be that the 72 hrs make the biggest difference, so maybe going up to 68-ish after would be okay.

Are you getting sub-par attenuation? Bad beers? What's the motive for changing your game?

Yeast is one of the four ingredients in beer, and it makes a very big difference!

There is a huge taste difference between a beer fermented at 74 degrees with Northwest Ale Yeast, and at 62 degrees fermented with Nottingham. You can use yeast as another tool to make the beer taste a certain way.

I have a friend who primarily uses dry yeast, unless it's a Belgian or a lager. He makes really good beers, don't get me wrong, but we were just talking about maybe something lacking a bit in the finish. I think that using a couple of different strains in this case would be the extra addition that puts his beers over the top good.

I DO use a lot of S05 myself, so I'm not knocking it here at all! But if you make the same APA with S05 and ferment at 66-68, and then use a different strain like Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450), even at the same temperature, it will NOT be the same beer.

Some yeast strains, like pacman, are super for lower temperature fermentations to give an almost lager-like taste and feel. Some, like London ESB ale yeast, will be distinctly fruity, especially over 70 degrees. These are all tools to get the exact beer you want!

A great way to learn about each strain and the temperatures to ferment out comes directly from the manufacturer's website. Here's Wyeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain.cfm White labs has the same descriptions of their strains, but I don't have the link at this moment.

Are you getting sub-par attenuation? Bad beers? What's the motive for changing your game?

No, my beers have been great! Mostly curiosity self-education. If they are good at 62, maybe they could be even better (or worse) at 65.

I have a temp controlled ferm chamber and I want to play to see the different effects. Its a new toy, something new to tweak.

One of the greatest things about this hobby is that there are so many variables. I'm taking notes on every batch for reproducibility but I can't keep up with the different options. I'm mildly OCD, I need to investigate every option.

I know exactly what you mean. My problem is choosing between new things to try. I get recipe ideas all the time, but also want to tinker with the few batches I've really enjoyed. Then, of course, I have to contain myself to one variable at a time. I recently did my first SMaSH (Maris Otter & Falconer's Flight) and had to restrain myself from also trying my first hop-burst and late LME additions as well. (I tried those out on an IPA I've done 3-4 times in order to isolate the effects of new changes.)

One of the things I love about HBT is the spirit of experimentation, record-keeping and knowledge sharing!

Latest posts

Back