Fermentation Temp. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Kolsch pretty soon and with the weather gradually getting warmer I'm concerned with the fermentation.

I was reading Kolsch yeast should ferment at 56-64 degrees F. I was thinking of making a swamp cooler for this beer to keep the temperatures low.

I know when the beer fermenting is usually warmer than the air/water around it, so my question would be what temperature do I want to keep the water at?

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on brewing a Kolsch pretty soon and with the weather gradually getting warmer I'm concerned with the fermentation.

I was reading Kolsch yeast should ferment at 56-64 degrees F. I was thinking of making a swamp cooler for this beer to keep the temperatures low.

I know when the beer fermenting is usually warmer than the air/water around it, so my question would be what temperature do I want to keep the water at?

Thanks in advance.

I use a pretty full water bath, with the water to the level of the beer, in a cooler. If the water bath is at the same level of the beer, or thereabouts, you can keep the water bath at the temperature you want for the fermentation temperature. The water and beer will be the same temperature.

I float a floating thermometer in mine, so I can easily check the temperature and just add/swap frozen water bottles as needed.

You can also try wrapping the fermentation vessel with a cold, wet sweatshirt or any shirt for that matter. I like the idea of using a 6-8 inch water bath and wrapping the carboy/bucket. Remember - the yeast is most active during the first 2-3 days, so be prepared to swap out ice water bottles and cold water about 3 times daily. After that, just see how the temp is holding out twice a day and adjust as necessary.

Latest posts

Back