Fermentation stalleled - another panicked brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo67

Reaction score
Hello all,

My brother and I Brewed an all-grain Maple Porter on Saturday 10/13. It sitting in our primary fermenter, a 6-gal plastic bucket in my basement. The airlock was bubbling away on Sunday at about 2-3 bubbles per second until 6 p.m. Then it went silent. I stood down there for 5 minutes without seeing anything.

This morning, still nothing. There was little or no pressure in the fermenter. I could tell because I couldn't press down on the cover and "burp" the airlock. I actually decided to open it up to see what it looked like. It smelled of beer, and the krausen (sp?) had been up about 2 inches above the surface of the beer, but had fallen back. There was a white scum on the top of the beer with brown crescents scattered across it.

The OG was a hearty 1.080. The temperature in the basement has fluctuated between 68 and 70 defgrees F. The yeast is one packaged (rehydrated) of dry Safale English Ale 04 and we aerated manually, rolling and shaking the bucket.

We both have brewed before, but my last experience was 15 years ago, and his was even further back. It was our first all-grain beer. I had kept detailed notes the last time, but they were destroyed when our basement flooded.

So, long story short, (I know, too late) I have closed up the fermenter and crossed my fingers. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance,

-Paul

Airlocks only mean that there is excess gas. 3 days is way to early to say that fermentation has stalled. Wait for about another week then take gravity readings to determine the progress of the fermentation.

You can leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle.

RDWHAHB......the airlock is not a fermentation indicator. It only indicates that the pressure inside your fermenter is higher than the surrounding atmosphere. After it has been fermenting for about 7 days take a gravity reading. Once the gravity has stabilized for 3 days and it is at the expected range, then your beer is done. Don't freak out, just let nature take it's course.

RDWHAHB......the airlock is not a fermentation indicator. It only indicates that the pressure inside your fermenter is higher than the surrounding atmosphere. After it has been fermenting for about 7 days take a gravity reading. Once the gravity has stabilized for 3 days and it is at the expected range, then your beer is done. Don't freak out, just let nature take it's course.

Thanks guys. I figured I was overreacting. I just needed someone to pat me on the head and say, "There, there. It will be OK. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew." :mug:

Measure the SG? Is it where it should be? Check to make sure your lid is creating an airtight seal?

Measure the SG? Is it where it should be? Check to make sure your lid is creating an airtight seal?

I think you may have hit on the problem.

I added a little more vodka to the airlock and sure enough, six hours later, there's pressure in the fermenter and the airlock is bubbling away again.

My guess is that the vodka either evaporated, or enough of it was sucked into the fermenter during a temperature drop for it to lose pressure.

Back