Fermentation restarting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreatbrewnorth

Reaction score
Hey all..

I have an American Blonde Ale that has been in primary for about 3 weeks..When I first put it in there and pitched, it had what I would describe a "medium" level of fermentation for about 1.5 weeks. along with a nice krausen..

Then fermentation tapered off to where I was hardly seeing any bubbles/airlock activity.

I checked it today, as I wanted to bottle this weekend, and now there is very active fermentation going again, with tonnes of bubbles, airlock activity, and a white layer of foam on top.

Is this normal? Am I still good to go for bottling this weekend? The carboy has been undistrbed in the same corner of my condo the whole time..sitting at about 67 F. I honestly don't think there was a temperature change as my condo is small and is temperature controlled fairly well.

check the gravity now and again Saturday night. If no change, your beer is just off-gassing

Assuming the gravity is stable, am I good to go for bottling? I can't tell if fermentation started up again or its just off gassing, there is no new krausen.

I would add this is one of my first batches, I'm pretty new at this. It's a 1 gallon Brooklyn Brewshop kit. 99.999% sure its not infected, smells like beer :)

Just took a gravity reading. Alas, I don't have a initial gravity as I purchased my hydrometer after I brewed. It's about 1.049. I also tasted the sample, and...it tastes like beer, which is a good thing lol. I cringed taking so much for a sample from the one gallon batch for the gravity reading, but I figure I might as well start learning my "brewing skills" now during the first few batches so I can perfect my technique.

I'm a little bit confused because the hydrometer I got says to read from the top of the meniscus but most stuff I read online says read the bottom.

It is still bubbling by the way!

1.049 is way high a beer that has been fermenting for almost 2 weeks. What yeast and temp did you ferment?

Latest posts

Back