fermentation restarted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
I started a batch on Sept 1, 2012 that has recently just started fermentation again in the carboy.

This was a complex process on this batch. Started it as a 2 gallon batch to be split for different flavors (one plum and one chocolate plum)

Originally started at OG-1.122 and went to 1.000 after adding the plums in the primary (about 16% Abv). Then I split the batch, stabilized with campden and sorbate, and then added a little honey, chocolate and brandy to bring back up the sweetness and alcohol. Did not raise it much as I had little honey.

By January it still was not too good (chocolate way too strong in one), so I combined the batches to reduce the chocolate flavor that was over bearing on the one. (combined then put back into the 2 - 1 gal carboys since 2 gallon batch) At this point I estimate the Abv to be around 17.5% with the previous honey, plums and fortification. Added more honey to get the SG up to 1.014.

By May it was tasting pretty good. While it still taste good though strong, I noticed the bubbles in one carboy. Neither carboy has moved or been touched since January. I checked again tonight. One carboy is pretty still with an SG of 1.012, but the other is down to 1.002 (so much for the backsweetening).

The one that has restarted would have dropped from 1.014 to 1.002 adding another 1.5% Abv to get to 19% approximately. The other aspect is that I am using Red Star Cotes de Blanc yeast which is only rated from 13-15%.

How common is it for restarts after 10 months and with a yeast that is rated so far below the current Abv? Anyone else have things like this?

PS. It still taste good, only lots of alcohol, and smells normal.

Back