Fermentation re-started after cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian blonde. It’s been done fermenting for 2-3 days so I stick it in the fridge to cold crash. After about 24 hours in the fridge it has started to ferment again. Airlock is bubbling and Krausen has started to reform on the top again. Never had this happen to me before where a beer started to re-ferment after being cold crashed. Any thoughts? Using white labs abbey ale yeast. #530.

No answers. Just questions. did you take a gravity reading before cold crashing? What temp is your fridge at? Any dry hop?

No I didn’t take a gravity reading. Figured after 15 days it was all good. Fridge is at 37. And no dry hop. Just moved it from my cabinet to the fridge. Maybe I jostled some yeast loose or something.

I would assume the same. I know that's the Chimay strain, and can be fickle. I wouldn't expect this. It may have had an averse reaction to head pressure(?). I'm guessing whatever reboot there was to fermentation started before the actual beer temp dropped too much. A fridge chilling beer using cold ambient air takes a while to bring a full volume down to those lower temps. Good reason to take gravity readings. I rarely do before crashing myself, that yeast may warrant the property protocol. I would also keep an eye on it for developing off flavors in case some wild may have made it in and only was able to get a hold after the pitched strain pooped out. Depending on gravity, that yeast can take a while to finish. I generally do push more towards 3-4 weeks but I've only used in high gravity beers.

The temperature is very low for active fermentation but probably it could be fermenting if it wasn't done. But are you sure it is fermentation? Bubbles could come and go but fermentation would mean that the gravity is going down. You should really follow the gravity to be sure. When the beer gets colder the pressure in the carboy/bucket is going to drop and usually it tends to suck air in through the airlock. Are you sure the bubbles are coming out through the airlock and not going in? When the bucket gets agitated, preformed co2 could also escape from the beer and through the airlock causing some foaming on top of the beer.

Back