Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachz0mbie

Reaction score
My girlfriend bought me the Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 Gl kit and I did Friday night. It has been in my closet for a day and a half and I am not seeing much action with the yeast. There are some tiny carbonation like bubbles but nothing like I am seeing in videos. I am also not seeing any foam at all in the tube. Is this sometimes normal or have I contaminated something? Thanks!

unnamed.jpeg

I think it looks fine. Given you're using a blowoff tube and not a bubbler or air lock most of the co2 is able to escape through a wider area, this would decrease the amount of bubbles you see and I'm sure overnight that baby was going like a hot tub. The hardest part is waiting and my biggest challenge personally is over thinking....let it be and it will probably be fine

Cheers

you have a blow off tube setup. in order to see bubbles you'll need enough pressure to offset what's in the pitcher. for a 1gal batch that could be quite a bit.

i doubt there's an issue. it's been cold here and my batch took a few days to show visible signs of fermentation. i did notice the bucket lid was puffed up so i knew it was working. just slow.

if there were any concern with your situation i would be worried that the fermenter won't blow off pressure and cause ozmotic pressure issues. filling the pitcher with less water alleviates that. pretty distant concern though. just let it roll and see what happens.

Thanks guys the process is a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to developing the craft. I am over thinking it but I'm glad to have someone let me know it's all gonna be gravy.

Zach

Looking at the picture I think I see a krausen ring at the top which means the the initial part of fermentation has happened and the yeast are slowing down, just like they should. Take a look at this article as it explains how yeast work. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

It even looks like the yeast have begun to settle at the bottom. You're good.

Just as everyone has said. It looks good. The only way to truly know if your fermenting is by taking gravity readings and comparing them. If the readings keep decreasing, your fermenting. If they level off for 3days your done.

Back